One of Canada’s favourite weekends is coming up! Victoria Day weekend is under a week away and it’s all about fun in the sun with good company and even better food. Time to pull out the barbecue and get cooking! We’ve got our first barbecue recipe of the season coming at you right now. These Tofu Souvlaki Skewers paired with Turmeric Tzatziki will have you outside cooking all summer long.
We love to barbecue, the flavour that you get off of a grill is amazing and the cook is incredible! That’s why summer is one of the best seasons for cooking. The grill adds a whole new dimension of flavour that you can’t get cooking in your kitchen.
We decided to go a little less traditional than a burger or hot dog for our weekend celebration. Instead we’re serving our guests tofu souvlaki skewers with a turmeric tzatziki. The tofu packs a powerful flavourful punch and the tzatziki is the perfect compliment. Pair with some simple rice and fresh salad for the ultimate summer meal. A dish sure to impress any palate.
Tofu Souvlaki SkewersPrint
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced + 1 tbsp, divided
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 2 tsp dried parsley, divided
- 2 bell peppers, colour of choice
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 2 tbsp cucumber, diced
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- Prepare your skewers by cutting them in half and soaking them in water for at least 10 minutes. This will help prevent them from burning.
- Chop your tofu into cubes of desired size. Ours are about 3/4" cubed.
- Prepare your tofu marinade in a shallow dish by adding avocado oil, water, 1 lemon juiced, 1 tbsp garlic powder, finely chopped oregano, finely chopped thyme, black pepper, soy sauce, agave nectar and 1 tsp dried parsley. Whisk all the ingredients together.
- Add your tofu to marinade and mix a couple of times until all the tofu is covered in marinade. Allow to marinade for at least 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
- Prepare your veggies for the skewers by chopping your bell peppers and red onion into bite sized pieces about the same size as your tofu.
- Prepare your turmeric tzatziki by adding sour cream, 1 tbsp lemon juice, tahini, 1 tsp garlic powder, dried dill, finely diced cucumber, 1 tsp of dried parsley and turmeric. Mix until all combined.
- Prepare your skewers by alternating vegetables and marinated tofu to what you desire. Leave about 1 centimetre space from each end.
- Barbecue each skewer until crispy and vegetables are tender. Brush with extra marinade halfway through cooking and then again after cooking.
- Serve and enjoy.