This 20 Minute Vegan Black Bean Quesadilla is perfect for a quick and easy dinner idea. Filled with mashed black beans, vegan cheese, and pickled jalapenos these hearty quesadillas are perfect for lunch or dinner.
Everyone has those days where all you want to do is throw dinner together with just a handful of ingredients. This Vegan Black Bean Quesadilla recipe is just what you need. A handful of hearty, wholesome ingredients in between a grilled tortilla perfect for a cozy night in.
Before we get into the recipe, first we want to talk a little about quesadillas and the cuisines and culture we have to thank for this delicious dinnertime creation.
What are quesadillas?
Firstly, quesadilla literally means “little cheesy thing” which we LOVE. Originating in the 16th century in the northern and central part of Mexico, today it’s still one of the most popular dishes in Mexico.
What you need for Vegan Black Bean Quesadillas:
- Black Beans
- Spices (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder)
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Vegan Cheddar Shreds
- Tortilla Wraps
Vegan Black Bean Quesadilla FAQ:
Can I use a different bean?
Yes! This recipe works well with a lot of different beans. Some of our favourites are kidney beans, refried beans or pinto beans!
Is it spicy?
It is a little spicy, but not too bad. If you’re sensitive to heat you can decrease the amount of jalapenos you use or remove them all together.
Do I have to use vegan cheese?
We love using vegan cheese, but if you can’t find it or don’t like vegan cheese you can leave it out of the recipe and just have a bean wrap. Or if you’re looking for something more whole foods based, you can try our nacho cheese sauce recipe for this quesadilla.
Can this be made gluten free?
Neither of us are gluten free so we are unaware if there are gluten free tortilla wraps. However, you can use corn tortillas instead of wheat tortillas if you’d like a gluten free option.
How to make Vegan Black Bean Quesadillas:
Vegan Black Bean Quesadilla
- oil, for cooking
- 340 g (1 can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2½ mL (½ tsp) brine from pickled jalapeños
- 110 g (½ cup) salsa
- 360 g (3 cups) vegan cheddar shreds
- 45 g (⅓ cup) pickled jalapeños
- 3-4 large tortilla wraps
- To a pan over medium heat add a little bit of cooking oil. To the pan add black beans, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix so all the seasonings are evenly coating the beans. Cook for about 4-5 minutes and as the beans soften, mash them slightly with a fork.
- Add the lime juice, brine from pickled jalapenos, and salsa – mix to combine. Cook for another 4-6 minutes, continuing to mash the beans as they cook. Remove from the heat.
- To a tortilla, spread some of the black beans on half of it. Leave one half without beans – this will be the half you fold over. Top the mashed beans with pickled jalapenos and vegan cheddar shreds. Fold over the empty half of the tortilla and press slightly.
- To a large pan over medium heat add a little bit of oil. Once warmed, add filled tortilla and cook until golden brown on each side and the cheese is melted – about 2-4 minutes per side.