Eggless, dairy-free Vegan Blueberry Scones that everyone will love! These tender, flaky scones are easy to make and dare we say, better than Starbucks!
Looking for a Blueberry Scone recipe that’s dairy free, eggless and easy to make? Our Vegan Blueberry Scones is just that recipe. Buttery, flaky and tender – these simply delicious Vegan Blueberry Scones have a light texture thanks to the vegan buttermilk and are PACKED with blueberries.
If you’re intimidated by vegan baking, this is a great recipe to start with! Scones may seem difficult, but these ones are actually pretty simple. Just 12 ingredients that most people should have in their fridge or pantry. While this recipe includes the use of some countertop appliances, this recipe can also be made without the use of them. So all you need is your hands, a couple bowls and a cheese grater!
Take it up a notch: Make a simple lemon glaze by combining icing sugar, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Drizzle over top, for the perfect dessert!
Top tips for making Vegan Blueberry Scones:
- Keep it cool. To get fluffy, flaky scones the vegan butter in the recipe should be kept as cold as possible. If you find that the butter is getting too warm, pop the bowl or container into the fridge for a few minutes.
- Keep your butter chunky. The butter should still be visible through the dough. We like to grate it with a cheese grater or food processor with a grater attachment. However you can also use a pastry blender instead.
- Do not thaw the blueberries first. If using frozen blueberries, which we prefer, do not thaw them beforehand. However you can opt to use fresh blueberries instead.
- Form into a disk and cut into triangles. To avoid overworking the dough, we like to form the dough in a disk and cut into wedges instead of cutting out rounds and having to re-form the dough. This will help you to not overwork your dough or melt the butter too much.
Vegan Blueberry Scones FAQ:
Can I use fresh blueberries in these scones?
Yep! We prefer to use frozen blueberries, but you can use fresh blueberries if you’d like.
Do scones freeze well?
Yes! We froze our leftover scones and they froze very well. Just remove from the freezer and allow them to thaw on the countertop. If you would like to re-heat them, place in an oven preheated to 300F for 5 minutes or until warmed.
How to make Vegan Blueberry Scones:
Vegan Blueberry Scones
- 175 g (1½ cups) frozen blueberries
- 240 mL (1 cup) soy milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 7 g (1 tbsp) ground flax seeds
- 170 g (3/4 cup) cold vegan butter
- 360 g (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 12 g (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 3 g (½ tsp)baking soda
- pinch salt
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 6 g (1 tbsp) lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To a bowl combine non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar and ground flax seed. Mix and set in the fridge until needed.
- In a large bowl combine flour, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Using a food processor or cheese grater, grate cold vegan butter and add to flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon mix until all the butter is coated in flour and evenly distributed throughout the flour. You want chunks of butter still in there as this is what will form the flaky layers of the scone. Place this mixture in the fridge whenever not using. It's important to keep the butter as cold as possible.
- To the flour/butter mixture, add milk mixture, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until all the flour is incorporated into a dough. You may need to use your hands to gently fold, but don't handle it too much or your body heat will melt the butter.
- Add in the blueberries and mix until just combined.
- On a floured surface turn out the dough and gently press it into a disk about 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife cut the disk into pie slices - we opted for 8 total. Place scones on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow scones to cool about 10 minutes before serving.