We did it. We made the FLUFFIEST Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes ever! They’re easy to make and delicious – perfect for your weekend breakfast with the family or Valentine’s Day breakfast in bed.
There’s a running debate about which is better pancakes or waffles. We have always been waffle people. Honestly never understood people who would pick pancakes over waffles. Maybe it’s because we’ve never truly had GOOD pancakes, but these ones are seriously testing our dedication to waffles. There may actually be an instance where we’d pick pancakes over waffles and it’s only when it’s these pancakes. They’re that good.
With just a handful of staple pantry ingredients you too can have the Fluffiest Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes. So how do you make them so fluffy? It comes down to a couple different ingredients and techniques. Firstly the vegan buttermilk, which is simply a combination of soy milk and apple cider vinegar. The addition of a vegan buttermilk gives the pancakes a softer texture and subtle tangy taste. Adding leveners like baking soda and powder help achieve the desired lift in a fluffy pancake. These are all important aspects – but in our opinion not the most important.
So what is the most important? How you cook it! Most people cook pancakes at a temperature that is far to high to allow fluffy pancakes to get the proper rise and texture. You need a low and slow technique. Cook the pancakes for a longer length of time, at a lower temperature. With these three aspects in our pancakes you get the FLUFFIEST pancakes ever!
Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 1/2 cup vegan buttermilk (1 1/2 cups soy milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Make your flax egg and vegan buttermilk (in separate bowls) and set aside to thicken.
- To a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and white sugar. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flax egg, vegan buttermilk, avocado oil and vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated.
- Add wet to dry, and mix until combined.
- In a pan with a small amount of oil, if needed to make non-stick, on low-medium heat cook pancakes for about 3-5 minutes on the first side and about 1-2 minutes on the second side. You want a delicious golden brown colour on both sides.
- Top with fresh fruit, mint and a drizzle of real Canadian maple syrup.
How to make the Fluffiest Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes