Whether it’s summer or winter everyone is looking for a little comfort. Soup is the ultimate comfort food. It’s warm, filling and packed full of nutrients. Our Vegan Butternut Squash Curry Soup has everything you need, plus it’s easy to make. So easy to make that you can make it anywhere you have a heat source and a big pot.
We originally made this recipe while spending time up at the cottage – a true testament to it being made anywhere. A quick prep of hearty vegetables and a broth preparation, and you have everything you need for a delicious dinner.
Super flavourful and packed full of delicious spices. Vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike will be going crazy for this recipe. We made this recipe while surrounded by all our non-vegan friends and they LOVED it. Speaking of, it’s perfect for large groups!
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or it’s your night to prepare dinner at the cottage – you will win over any stomach with this soup.
Butternut Squash Curry SoupPrint
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2-3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp hot chili flakes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cups black kale, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- The key to soup is prepping all your ingredients beforehand. This way you can add the ingredients as you need to, instead of trying to hurry and chop as you go. Chop all your ingredients to your desired size. We found these sizes were best; 1 inch butternut squash cubes, thin red pepper slices and 1/4 inch thick slices of carrot.
- To a large pot add 1 tbsp olive oil. Once heated add butternut squash cubes, black pepper, salt and onion powder and cook until lightly browned. Remove the butternut squash and add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, red pepper, carrot, curry paste, curry powder and hot chili flakes. Cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, water and butternut squash to the pot and stir until all combined. Squeeze in your lemon juice and stir. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the black kale and stir. Cook until the kale wilts.
- Serve with rice (optional).
How to make Vegan Butternut Squash Curry Soup