These fluffy and moist Vegan Carrot Muffins are the perfect weekday snack! It may just be the best way to get your veggies.
These light and fluffy muffins are not only delicious, but also super easy to make. We love making a big batch of these Vegan Carrot Muffins on the weekend and enjoying them all week long for breakfast or a sweet mid-day snack. Perfect bakery-style domed tops with a sprinkling of coarse sugar for extra texture.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Light, fluffy, and pillow-y in texture.
- Packed with fresh, flavourful carrots.
- Perfect domed tops, like straight out of a bakery.
Top tips for making Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins:
- Use tall muffin liners. To get those classic bakery-style muffins, sometimes a little support is needed. We like to use taller muffin lines (or make your own with parchment paper) to help support the muffins as they rise.
- Squeeze out extra moisture from the carrots. To avoid adding extra moisture to the muffins and potentially throwing off the texture, we recommend squeezing out some of the moisture from the shredded carrots. While not 100% necessary, it is recommended.
- Fill your muffin tin. To get tall, domed muffin tops we fill our muffin tin to the top or just below it. The right recipe won’t overflow while rising and the muffin liners will help support it. However because we fill our muffin pan, we get less muffins out of it (around 8-9, instead of 12) but it’s worth it!
- Bake until golden. You know the muffins are done baking because they’ll be golden on top. We like to also do a second test, pressing gently into the top of the muffin with your finger, if it spring backs it’s done.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions:
- Ground Flax Seed – We use ground flax seed to create structure since there are no eggs in this recipe. You can also use ground chia seeds if you prefer.
- Orange Juice – This ads flavour and it also is used to create vegan buttermilk for this recipe. We don’t recommend substituting as it add a nice zippy flavour.
- Non-Dairy Milk – We like to use Kirkland Soy Milk or Whole Not Milk for our baking. You can also use other brands or varieties, but we haven’t tested the recipe with those.
- All-Purpose Flour – We use No Name All-Purpose Flour, but you can use any brand. We haven’t tried this with any other type of flour.
- Seasonings – To add some cozy flavours we include a medley of fall flavours like cinnamon and nutmeg. You can increase, decrease or completely eliminate any of the seasonings.
- White Sugar – We like using white sugar for muffins as it creates a delicious texture and the perfect colour.
- Vegan Butter – We like using butter for the flavour but you can also use oil if you prefer.
- Vegan Yogurt – We use the Maison Riviera Coconut Milk Vegan Delight to help add moisture to these muffins. We recommend using vegan yogurt, but the brand is up to you.
- Demerara Sugar – Used to add a crunchy top to these muffins. You can skip this if you prefer, but we recommend keeping it.
Vegan Carrot Muffins FAQ:
How do you properly store muffins?
There’s a little more to storing muffins than just an air-tight container. Muffins are likely to go soft or soggy if this is done. To keep your muffins from going too soft, we like to store in an air-tight container that’s lined with a paper towel to help absorb some of the extra moisture.
How do you make muffins with domed tops?
There are a couple tricks to getting perfect bakery-style domed tops. Firstly be sure you don’t overmix the flour. Secondly, use tall muffin liners and fill each muffin cup to the top. Finally, we bake ours at a slightly higher temperature than normal for a better rise.
Other vegan baked good you’ll love:
- Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Chocolate Oat Muffins
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread
How to make Vegan Carrot Muffins:
Vegan Carrot Muffins
- 7 g (1 tbsp) ground flax seed
- 75 mL (5 tbsp) orange juice, divided
- 180 mL (¾ cup) non-dairy milk
- 360 g (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 g (2 tsp) baking soda
- 6 g (1 tsp) baking powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 134 g (⅔ cup) white sugar
- 113 g (½ cup) melted vegan butter
- 117 g (½ cup) vegan yogurt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- demerara sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a muffin tin with 9 liners and set aside.
- Combine ground flax seed with 3 tbsp of the orange juice and set aside.
- Mix the remaining 2 tbsp of orange juice with the non-dairy milk and set aside.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves and mix until combined. Set aside.
- To a separate bowl combine white sugar with melted vegan butter- mix until combined. Add flax egg, milk mixture, and yogurt then mix until smooth.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined. Add the shredded carrot and gently stir until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Divide batter between muffin liners using a cookie scoop and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Fill empty muffin tin spaces with 2 tbsp of water each to promote an even bake.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes. You know the muffins are ready when they are golden and when you gently press the top with your finger it immediately springs back.