This recipe and blog post for Vegan Cranberry Shortcake is sponsored by All-Clad Canada.
Happy Thanksgiving weekend! A weekend all about family, food and being thankful. When it comes to Thanksgiving most people focus on the main course. Yes, it’s important, but we say dessert is just as important. This Cranberry Shortcake is a showstopper and no one can say otherwise. We’ve never been more thankful for our partnership with All-Clad Canada than today. We we’re given their D3 Stainless 8×8 Baking Pan and the D3 Stainless 2-Pc Roasting Sheet and Nonstick Cooling Rack and tasked with creating something delicious for the holidays. Our immediate thought was dessert.
One of Kat’s favourite ingredients during fall is cranberries. They’re truly an undervalued fruit that are wasted on cranberry sauce. They have such a unique flavour that allows you to control just how much sweetness you want. Like things sweet? Add a lot of sugar to them. Don’t have a sweet tooth? Well, you guessed it, add less sugar. They’re the perfect addition to this wonderful and festive dessert.
Now let’s talk layers. What makes this dessert so amazing is the wonderfully delicious layers that all compliment each other. Starting with the delicious buttery and flaky scone. A fluffy interior with a crispy outside, pure perfection. It’s topped with juicy bursting roasted cranberries, and vegan whipped cream. Finally garnish with a little mint and fresh orange peel.
Why you need to make this dessert:
- Beautiful buttery scone, tastes like it comes straight from a bakery.
- Roasted cranberries are seriously addictive and DELICIOUS.
- Showstopper perfect for a family meal.
Now let’s talk All-Clad Canada. We were provided with two more amazing All-Clad Canada products. Both the D3 Stainless 8×8 Baking Pan and D3 Stainless 2-Pc Roasting Sheet and Cooling Rack are heavy-duty, perfect for all the baking you’ll be doing this upcoming holiday season. The super easy grip handles, make them easy to grab in and out of a hot oven. The lighter colour adds more flexibility in the bake time and temperature, as well as promotes an even bake. The lighter colour reflects heat, meaning the bottoms won’t brown as easily with a dark pan. In baked goods where you’re looking for an even golden bake, these lighter colours pans are the way to go.
Get the full recipe below.
- 240 mL ( 1 cup) soy milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 7 g (1 tbsp) ground flax seeds
- 170 g (3/4 cup) cold vegan butter
- 360 g (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 14 g (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 2 g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- pinch salt
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 12.5 g (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- soy milk/maple syrup glaze, (1 tbsp milk + 1 tbsp maple syrup)
- 600 g (6 cups) frozen cranberries
- 12 g (2 tbsp) orange zest
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) fresh citrus juice
- 6 g (2 tsp) corn starch
- 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 10 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- 192 g (2 cups) vegan whipped cream
- 12 g (1/2 cup) fresh mint, minced, (optional)
- 8 orange zest twirls, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To make the scones, combine milk, apple cider vinegar and ground flax seed in a bowl. Mix and set in the fridge until needed.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Using a food processor or cheese grater, grate cold vegan butter and add to flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon mix until all the butter is coated in flour and evenly distributed throughout the flour. You want chunks of butter still in there as this is what will form the flaky layers of the scone. Place this mixture in the fridge whenever not using. It's important to keep the butter as cold as possible.
- To the flour/butter mixture, add milk mixture, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until all the flour is incorporated into a dough. You may need to use your hands to gently fold, but don't handle it too much or your body heat will melt the butter.
- On a floured surface turn out the dough and gently press it into a disk about 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife cut the disk into pie slices - we opted for 8 total. Place scones on a lined baking sheet. Brush with soy milk/maple syrup glaze and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Once baked allow to cool.
- To roast cranberries: Line the square baking pan with parchment paper and add all cranberry ingredients to the pan and toss. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until the cranberry juices start to escape. Once baked, remove from oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes.
- To construct slice a thin layer off the top of each scone. You want a flat top for the cranberries to rest on. Top with a spoonful of roasted cranberries, whipped cream and optionally some chopped mint and an orange zest twirl.
Looking for more delicious TMG x All-Clad Canada recipes? Check out of past partnered recipes here.
How to make Vegan Cranberry Shortcake:
Pingback: Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pot Pies | Two Market Girls