Learn how to make the best Vegan French Toast for an easy eggless and dairy free breakfast. This classic recipe is homemade WITHOUT flaxseed and instead using spelt flour!
Looking for a quick and easy brunch for two? This Vegan French Toast recipe is easy to make with just 9 ingredients. Dairy free and eggless this plant based recipe is perfectly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
But how do you make French toast from scratch? Made without flaxseeds, this homemade recipe is actually made with spelt flour! Eggs are used in classic French toast as the protein solidifies upon heating firming up the liquids in the bread. The spelt flour is a flavourful addition, while also acting as the egg replacement in this vegan version.
Top tips for make Vegan French Toast:
- Use store-bought white bread. You will see a lot of recipes online using a crusty bread. There’s nothing wrong with that – in fact it’s delicious! However we think the best French toast is made with simple white bread. We suggest you give it a try if you don’t believe us.
- Season to taste. Our recipe is perfect for us, but it may not be perfect for you. We recommend you season the batter according to your taste preferences for best results.
- A quick dip in the batter is all you need. Because we use white bread and it isn’t as hearty, quick dip in the batter is all the slices of bread need.
- Butter the pan. For the perfect crispy French toast be sure to add a little vegan butter to your pan between each toast or at least when the pan starts to look a little dry.
- Place cooked French toast on a wire rack. While cooking the rest of your French toast, don’t stack the cooked pieces. Stacking them on top of each other with cause them to soften and lose their crispiness. Instead allow them to rest on a wire rack so there is air flow all around them.
- Don’t forget your favourite toppings. The perfect French toast wouldn’t be complete without your favourite toppings! We love fresh fruit, maple syrup and icing sugar.
How do you make French toast vegan?
There are two main components to adjust for when making vegan French toast – eggs and milk. To make French toast vegan just substitute the milk with your non-dairy milk of choice and substitute eggs by adding some spelt flour instead!
How long should I soak bread to make French toast?
Each recipe differs and it can depend on what type of bread you use. For our recipe using white bread we soak for just a couple seconds on each side.
What is a substitute for milk in French toast?
We use soy milk but you can use any non-dairy milk you prefer. Other great options are almond, oat, and macadamia nut milk.
How to make Vegan French Toast:
Vegan French Toast
- 6 slices bread
- 240 mL (1 cup) non-dairy milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 30 g (4 tbsp) spelt flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- To a shallow bowl combine non-dairy milk, maple syrup, spelt flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, black salt, and cloves – whisk until smooth.
- To a non-stick pan over medium heat add a little (1 tbsp) vegan butter. Allow to heat up for 60 seconds.
- Dip a slice of bread in the batter, about 2 seconds on each side, and add to the pan one at a time. Cook until golden brown and crispy before flipping to the next side to do the same. Repeat for remaining slices of bread.
- While you cook the rest of the French toast, allow cooked pieces to rest on a wire rack to retain crispiness.
- Once all pieces of finished cooking just stack and serve with your favourite toppings.