Soft and chewy – these Vegan Maple Pumpkin Spice Cookies are like no other. They come together quickly and with minimal ingredients. The autumn inspired treats are our newest obsession!
It’s time for everyone’s favourite season; PUMPKIN SEASON! Whether you’re gearing up for your favourite latte or adding pumpkin to every baked good you can dream up – these vegan cookies will be your new favourite seasonal treat. Packed with flavour and rolled in cinnamon sugar, these sweet treats ooze fall vibes.
Looking for a weeknight baking activity, these are the cookies for you! They come together super quickly and with minimal dishes so you don’t have to spend all day in the kitchen for something delicious.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Packed with fall flavours.
- Soft and pillow-y in every bite.
- Comes together in under 35 minutes.
Top tips for making Vegan Maple Pumpkin Spice Cookies:
- Make sure your oven is preheated. To avoid over or under baking cookies, be patient and place the cookies in the oven after it’s fully preheated. To ensure your oven is properly preheated, we highly recommend getting an oven thermometer.
- Beat butter longer than you think. To get the proper texture and air in cookies, beat the butter and sugar for at least 6-7 minutes.
- Don’t overmix the flour. Overmixing flour can result in tough cookies. To avoid this do the bulk of your mixing at the butter/sugar stage and just mix the flour until just combined.
- Adjust to your taste. Some like it a bit more spiced than others, so feel free to adjust the spices to your liking.
- Measure out your cookies with a cookie scoop. For a quick and easy way to make evenly sized cookies, a cookie scoop is a great kitchen gadget. This helps your cookies to bake evenly.
- All-Purpose Flour – We bake these recipes with No Name Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, but it will work with any brand. If you want to make this gluten free we recommend using a 1-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour. Note that we have not tested this recipe with gluten free flour, but it should work.
- Vegan Unsalted Butter – We use Becel Plant Based Sticks in these cookies, but other vegan butter substitutes should as well.
- Maple Syrup – We use a Canadian dark amber maple syrup for the best flavour!
- Salt – Salt is key to enhancing flavours, please don’t skip this in the recipe.
- Pumpkin Puree – This both acts as a flavour addition and an egg replacer in this recipe.
- Spices & Seasonings – We use a variety of fall spices for this recipe, but you could just swap them all for a pumpkin pie spice blend.
How do I make my cookies the same size and round?
The key to perfectly sized and round cookies is two tools: a cookie scoop and a round cookie cutter. Use a cookie scoop to get similar sized cookies and so that they bake evenly. For round cookies, we like to use Cloudy Kitchen’s cookie scoot technique. Use a round cookie cutter, slightly bigger than the cookie itself, and as soon as they’re out of the oven use the cookie cutter around the cookie to scoot it into a round shape.
Can you freeze cookies?
Yes! You can freeze them at multiple points in the recipe. Freeze the dough in a log, in pre-portioned cookie dough balls, or after baking them. If you’re freezing after baking don’t glaze them, allow them to cool completely, place in an air-tight container, and freeze. When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and preheat the oven to 250F. Once preheated, place cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake until just reheated – about 5 minutes. Then you can glaze them if you want.
How to make Vegan Maple Pumpkin Spice Cookies:
Vegan Maple Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 226 g (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp almond butter
- 266 g (1⅓ cup) brown sugar
- 45 g (3 tbsp) pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g (½ cup) pumpkin puree
- 270 g (2¼ cup) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Melt vegan butter and almond butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until a golden brown colour. Set aside.
- Beat melted butter and brown sugar in a stand mixer for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin puree and maple syrup and beat until combined.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, and vanilla extract to the wet mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Make cinnamon sugar coating by combining cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Scoop cookie dough with a cookie scoop and gently roll into a ball. Toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat for remaining dough placing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the edge.
- Remove from the oven and let chill 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.