One of the things that people find hardest to give up when going vegan is cheese. We get that. It was probably the hardest things to give up, probably because for a while vegan cheeses just weren’t very good. It was really hard to find a good substitute that actually tasted like cheese and not plastic or soy. All that has changed.
Vegan cheeses now are almost hard to tell from that actual thing. At least we think so. There are substitutes for cheese spreads, slices, dips, and anything else you could think to put cheese in or made of cheese. Seriously we are seeing new vegan cheeses popping up everywhere, especially homemade.
Our vegan cheese sauce is seriously addictive. We actually put this deliciousness on everything. The easiest thing to make and you will never believe that all the ingredients you are using would make a perfect cheese flavour. What is a vegan’s secret cheese weapon? Nutritional Yeast! If nutritional yeast isn’t in your pantry right now, leave your house and go buy some. You will need it to make the perfect dip to pair with delicious tortilla chips or even better some steamed broccoli. Put it out for a party and watch as everyone believes it to be non-vegan cheese.
VEGAN QUESO CHEESEPrint
- 1/2 cup cashews, (soaked)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, boiled
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 3-4 slices jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch black pepper
- Soak cashews overnight. If you don't have the time for an overnight soak, soak them in boiling water for about an hour. (Not included in prep time)
- Soften your sweet potato in boiling water until fork tender. Be sure to peel your potato or else you won't get a smooth cheese sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth.
- Garnish with a slice of jalapeno and enjoy.