This easy one-pot Vegan Ratatouille Pasta with roasted veggies like eggplant and dressed in a spicy tomato sauce. This healthy homemade dinner recipe is the perfect weeknight meal.
Looking for a quick and easy veggie packed pasta recipe? This Vegan Ratatouille Pasta is packed with hearty vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers and dressed in a spicy vegan tomato sauce.
This homemade one-pot pasta recipe comes together in just 30 minutes with just 11 simple ingredients. That means easy clean up without skimping on flavour. Just cook your veggies in your pot, add some tomato sauce, cooked pasta, and a little pasta water to finish this simple dish.
Top tips for making Vegan Ratatouille Pasta:
- Dice the veggies evenly. To have a consistent cook, keep the veggies all in similar sizes. Plus this helps the final texture.
- Don’t cook all the vegetables at once. Just because you diced the veggies evenly, doesn’t mean they all cook at the same time. You want to ensure your cooking veggies that take a longer time to cook first.
- Choose a simple pasta shape. This pasta has a LOT of texture. Go with a simple pasta like penne, spaghetti, or fusilli. Our favourite is penne!
- Use pasta water for a better pasta sauce. The key to most amazing pasta dishes is the pasta cooking water! Reserve a little before draining the pasta and add to the finished dish for a smooth sauce that clings to the pasta.
Vegan Ratatouille Pasta FAQ:
Can you use any vegetables for this?
Pretty much! Obviously not just any veggies work for this recipe and you need to adjust cooking times but most vegetables should work. Other vegetables that we like to put in recipes like this are mushrooms, squash, tomatoes, asparagus, and broccoli.
What tomato sauce should I use?
We love using a spicy tomato sauce because it adds a lot of flavour. Ultimately you can use whatever sauce you want, though we recommend using something packed with flavour.
How do you cook perfect pasta?
This depends on the shape you’re using, but you want the pasta to be al dente or just a little firm when bitten. Pasta typically takes between 6-12 minutes depending on the shape. But every shape should be cooked in salted boiling water!
Does this recipe reheat well?
Yes! Looking for the perfect vegan meal prep – this is it. This recipe stores well, then just pop it into the microwave to reheat and enjoy the next day.
How to cook Vegan Ratatouille Pasta:
Vegan Ratatouille Pasta
- 200 g penne, uncooked
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 300 g (1-2) zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 150 g (1) Chinese eggplant, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 150 g (1) bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 140 g (½) red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 38 g (4 cloves) garlic, minced
- 2 g (2 tsp) Italian seasoning
- 1 g (1 tsp) crushed red pepper
- 225 g (1 cup) tomato sauce, of choice
- 15 g fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve some of the cooking water (about 1 cup) for later in the recipe before draining.
- Add oil to a pan over medium-high heat. To your heated pan add bell pepper and red onion and cook for a couple minutes. Add in the eggplant and zucchini, along with the minced garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red peppers, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cooked pasta, sauce and reserved pasta water starting with a 1/2 cup. Stir until combined. If more liquid is needed add a splash more pasta water until desired. Turn off the heat and add chopped basil.
- Serve with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast if desired.