Easy Homemade Vegan Sausage Rolls recipe made with puff pastry, vegan sausage, and a special ingredient!
We’ve made the easiest vegan appetizer out there! This simple 7-ingredient Vegan Sausage Roll recipe is the perfect appetizer for when you’re in a pinch. All you need is some store-bought puff pastry, vegan sausages, and our secret ingredient – cranberry mustard! While the holidays may look different this year, your food doesn’t have to. Whether you’re celebrating with your 2 or 6 around your dinner table, delicious food is a must. These super simple vegan appetizers are perfect for holiday snacking and come together in no time.
With just a handful of easy, vegan ingredients you can make a delicious holiday appetizer in minutes. Plus the homemade cranberry mustard in the sausage rolls adds a whole other level to this already delicious recipe.
Top tips for making Vegan Sausage Rolls:
- Store-bought puff pastry is a time saver! You can go the homemade route, but honestly we NEVER do. Store-bought puff pastry is delicious and a huge time saver, so why not?
- Pick your favourite vegan sausage to personalize this recipe. We like to use a spicy sausage but you can use whatever vegan sausage you want.
- Brush with a vegan “egg” wash for that golden brown colour. This step is optional, but we highly recommend it. A vegan “egg” wash creates a golden, crispy shell and allows any toppings to stick.
- Bake until golden and crispy. Puff pastry is best when fully baked until deeply golden and flaky, so don’t be afraid to let it get a little browned.
Vegan Sausage Rolls FAQ:
Is puff pastry vegan?
It depends. There are a lot of store-bought accidentally vegan puff pastry available. Just keep an eye out for butter, dairy, lard, animal shortening, or vitamin D3 in the ingredient list. If the ingredients contain any of those things, then you’re puff pastry is not vegan. Of course this isn’t an exhaustive list, so just read the ingredients carefully and do some research if you’re not sure.
Can I use any vegan sausage?
Yes! Use your favourite vegan sausage that you can find. Alternatively can make your own, but that would be a longer list of ingredients and more work.
How do I know puff pastry is baked?
When working with puff pastry, it’s fully cooked with golden, puffy and no longer looks doughy. Use the baking time on this recipe and the package of the brand you’re using as a guideline but if it needs a few more minutes, give it that. There’s nothing worse that under-baked puff pastry.
How to make Vegan Sausage Rolls:
Vegan Sausage Rolls
- 4 vegan sausages, (we use Field Roast)
- 425 g puff pastry sheet
- 35 g (⅓ cup) frozen cranberries
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) water
- 5 mL (1 tsp) maple syrup
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 80 g (⅓ cup) smooth dijon mustard
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) non-dairy milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
To make cranberry mustard:
- To a small sauce pan add the frozen cranberries, water, maple syrup, thyme, and flour. Stir until thickened and you get a jam consistency. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. To a food processor add the cranberry jam and smooth dijon mustard and blend until smooth. Set aside.
To make sausage rolls:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut puff pastry sheet into rectangles as long as the sausage and enough to roll around each sausage - about 3 inches.
- To the puff pastry sheets spread the cranberry mustard leaving about 1inch on either end without any mustard. Keep any extra for dipping later.
- Place the sausage on the puff pastry and roll. Cut into bite sized pieces and place on a lined baking sheet. Repeat for each sausage.
- To make a vegan egg wash, mix non-dairy milk and maple syrup until combined. Brush onto each sausage roll. Sprinkle sausage rolls with poppyseeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with any leftover cranberry mustard.