Strawberry Pie. Is there anything better? It’s basically strawberry jam packed in delicious buttery pastry. Yeah, strawberry pie is damn good. Excuse the drool coming from our mouths. Nothing kicks off summer quite like fruit does. Between the freshness, vibrancy, and delicious flavour, fruit is just perfection on a hot summers day.Who doesn’t love to wake up and munch on a big bowl of delicious fruit?
It’s probably the best part about summer. Other than the sun, the beach, oh and the barbecue, and the tans… okay it turns out we really like summer. On top of all those amazing summer vibes, it’s hands down the best food season. That’s why these mini strawberry pies are the perfect treat on a summer night.
Is there anything better than the smell of a freshly baked pie? Yes, the smell of a freshly baked fruit pie that you didn’t have to slave over. Pie can be a tricky thing to make, while we can’t come to your kitchen and make it for you, we can make things a little easier. With a simple and straightforward recipe, this pie will be added into your dessert rotation. On top of all these amazing things, these pies are mini. They can fit in your hands, YOUR HANDS!
Making mini pies isn’t only cute, but very practical if you struggle with making pastry. Trying to keep together flaky dough and lift it onto a large pie dish is probably one of the most stressful things. These four inch mini pies take all that stress away. The dough is a million times more manageable when it’s this small. It’s simple yet delicious, while it may not be a perfectly traditional pie crust, it is still absolutely amazing.
This is the perfect dessert on a warms summer day. If you bust these out at your next summer barbecue we promise that everyone will be impressed and asking for the recipe. Top with some coconut whipped cream and coconut shreds you have yourself one damn delicious dessert.
MINI STRAWBERRY PIE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp cold vegan butter
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lime, lemon, and orange juice (each)
- 1 tbsp lime, lemon, and orange zest (each)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- In a food processor add your flour and vegan butter and pulse until the butter has become crumby. Add in the water and process until your dough comes just together.
- Place dough on a piece of clear wrap and form into a ball. Wrap your dough and place in the fridge to chill for about 1 hour.
- Once your dough has chilled, roll out on a flour surface to about 1/4 inch thick and line your baking vessel (tart tins or pie dish). Place back in the fridge to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Remove your tarts or pie from the fridge and blind bake. Prick your pastry with a fork. Line each tart/pie with parchment paper and weight it down with pie weights or dried beans. This will help prevent bubbles from forming. Bake for 20-25 min.
- While your shells are baking prepare your filling by combining your strawberries, corn starch, vanilla, citrus juices, citrus zests, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Place your saucepan on medium heat and stir until everything has come together and form a strawberry jam-like consistency. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove your shells from the oven and fill with strawberry filling. Place bake in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Watch the video