The quick and easy Watermelon Salsa recipe is perfect for summer snacking! Just 8 ingredients to make this delicious homemade salsa perfect for dipping and topping tacos.
Literal summer in a bowl. This easy vegan Watermelon Salsa recipe is a delicious twist on this Mexican condiment. We made a mango salsa and have forever fallen in love with fruit salsas, so we had to try it with another of our favourite summer fruits.
Just 8 simple ingredients come together to create a delicious, acidic condiment perfect for dipping and topping. Or if you’re like us, sometimes you just eat it by the spoonful.
What is salsa?
Top tips for making Watermelon Salsa:
- Prep ingredients ahead of time. Before combining ingredients, have each one prepped ahead of time. Taking the time to prep all your ingredients ahead of time keeps your workspace clean and quickens the prep time.
- Hand cut ingredients. Watermelon is too soft to use the food processor to chop, so doing it by hand is the best way. We also like to prep all the add-ins by hand so that we get uniform sizes.
- Adjust to taste. This recipe is easy to adjust based on your own taste. Adjust the add-ins amounts based on how you like your salsa to taste.
- Best enjoyed the day of. While it can be stored in the fridge and enjoyed the next day, this Watermelon Salsa is best enjoyed the day of. Watermelon loses a lot of its moisture when it sits overnight.
Watermelon Salsa FAQ:
How do you choose the best watermelon?
We look for a couple key features when choosing a watermelon. Firstly the weight – watermelon should be fairly heavy in weight for its size. The heavier it is the more juice it has. Secondly, we look for a large yellow spot. Watermelons develop a field spot on the bottom when growing. When it’s a creamy yellow you know its ripe!
Does this store well?
We generally say its best enjoyed the day you make it, but if you have leftovers store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days max.
How to make Watermelon Salsa:
- 700 g (¼) watermelon, diced into 1/4" cubes
- 100 g (½) red onion, finely diced
- 60 g (2) jalapeno, finely diced and seeded
- 20 g fresh cilantro, minced
- 10 g fresh mint, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt, to taste
- chili lime seasoning, to taste (optional)
- To a bowl add watermelon, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and mint. Toss to combine. Drizzle with lime juice, salt and chili lime seasoning (if using), toss and serve!