Soft and chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies that are dairy free, eggless, and completely vegan. These homemade treats are quick to make and loaded with puddles of melty dark chocolate.
Love cookies like we do? Then you’ll be obsessed with our ooey-gooey Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies! Each bite is more comforting than the next and packed with delicious flavour and puddles of melted chocolate.
Did you know we have a mini e-cookbook all about cookies? Well we do, and this is one of our favourite recipes from the book!
Top tips for making Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies:
- Make sure your oven is fully preheated. To avoid over or under baking your cookies, be patient and place the cookies in the oven after its fully preheated. To ensure your oven is properly preheated, we highly recommend getting an oven thermometer.
- Beat the butter longer than you think. To get the proper texture and air in your cookies, make sure you beat the butter and sugar for at least 5-6 minutes.
- Don’t overmix the flour. Overmixing the flour can result in tough cookies. To avoid this do the bulk of your mixing at the butter/sugar stage and just mix the flour in just combined.
- Use chopped chocolate, not chips. Kat here to say chocolate chips are meant for snacking, not cookies. Using chopped chocolate ensures you get delicious, rich puddles of melted dark chocolate.
- Measure out your cookies with a cookie scoop. For a quick and easy way to make evenly sized cookies, a cookie scoop is a great kitchen gadget.
- Bake slightly under for chewy, gooey cookies. If you like soft, chewy cookies like we do under-baking the cookies by about 1 minute is the secret!
- Finish with salt. For the last finishing touch that takes your cookies up a notch, sprinkle with a little kosher salt right out of the oven.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies FAQ:
How do you properly store cookies?
To make your cookies last longer, store them in an air-tight container and they should last 3-4 days.
Can you freeze cookies?
Yes! Just pop them in an air-tight container or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. When ready to enjoy place frozen cookies in an oven preheated to 250F until warmed through.
How to make Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies:
Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 120 g (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 113 g (½ cup) butter
- 100 g (½ cup) brown sugar
- 50 g (¼ cup) white sugar
- 1 flax egg, (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g whole old-fashioned oats
- 175 g chopped dark chocolate, , divided
Before you start: Make sure to make your flax egg and set aside to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl combine dry ingredients and mix. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer) beat butter until light and fluffy - about 1-2 minutes. Add in both brown and white sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy - about 1-2 minutes. Add in flax egg and vanilla extract for about 10 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix until almost combined - there should be some flour still not mixed in. Add oats and 140 g of the chopped chocolate and mix until just combined. You don't want to over mix the flour.
- Using a cooking scoop, scoop dough onto a lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until golden.
- Once baked remove from the oven, sprinkle with a little salt and allow the cookies to rest on the hot baking sheet for an additional 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.