Creamy, spicy, and cheesy – no one will believe this simple and delicious Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip is vegan. The perfect balance of spicy buffalo sauce, this vegan appetizer is perfect for those looking for a kick of heat. Made with vegan sour cream and cream cheese for the perfect texture and packed with vegan chicken, buffalo sauce, fresh dill, and vegan cheese.
Is there anything better than a good dip? This delicious dairy-free dip is irresistibly good! Packed with cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo sauce, vegan chicken, shredded cheese, and a bunch of seasonings and herbs for a flavour-packed Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip. As one of Devin’s favourite flavours this dip has been at the top of our list for a long time!
Perfect for sharing, dips are one of our favourite appetizers to make and eat. This quick and easy dip comes together in just over 30 minutes making it a delicious and simple appetizer you can whip up when you’re limited on time. Just mix everything together, add to an oven safe dish like a cast iron pan, and bake until warm and gooey. Serve with fresh veggies and tortilla chips for dipping.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It’s creamy, delicious, perfectly spicy!
- Perfect for sharing or keeping all to yourself.
- Super easy to make and bake.
- It’s completely dairy-free, meatless, and vegan!
Top tips for making Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip:
- Use both vegan sour cream and cream cheese. For a perfectly creamy and dreamy dip we like using both vegan sour cream and cream cheese. The sour cream adds the perfect amount of tang to the dip, while the cream cheese offers a deliciously creamy and delicious texture after being baked.
- Use vegan chicken for a deliciously meaty texture. In place of chicken we like to use store-bought vegan chicken like the one from Tofurkey. It offers a meaty texture and flavour!
- Frank’s Buffalo Sauce is accidentally vegan. Yes this delicious sauce is accidentally vegan (at least in Canada it is). To get a flavour most similar to ours, use this!
- Bake until warmed all the way through. For the perfect texture and eating experience bake the dip until warmed through and the cheese is melted on top. You’ll know its ready when the dip starts to bubble just a little bit. You may need to turn in on broil for a couple minutes at the end.
- Vegan Cream Cheese: This is a must have! Cream cheese creates a perfectly creamy texture for this dip that no one will believe is vegan. It can be found at some grocery stores and vegan grocery stores, we like using the Tofutti brand for dips. We don’t have an appropriate substitute for this ingredient.
- Vegan Sour Cream: Like cream cheese this is used for a little flavour, but mostly for texture. You can find it at some grocery stores and vegan grocery stores. If you can’t find vegan sour cream you could also use an unsweetened, non-flavoured vegan yogurt.
- Vegan Chicken: We used Tofurkey Lightly Seasoned Plant-Based Chick’n as we love the texture and flavour it adds. Alternatively you can use soy curls or any other brand of vegan chicken you want. We would stay clear of anything breaded though as it will add a weird texture to the dip.
- Frank’s Buffalo Sauce: Yes, it’s accidentally vegan! This delicious sauce is the base of most of the flavour is this yummy dip. If you can’t find this one, any other brand of accidentally vegan buffalo sauce will do. Alternatively you can also make your own homemade version of the sauce.
- Vegan Cheese: For the best ooey gooey texture we like to add shredded cheese to our dips. For this recipe we used the Daiya Cutting Board shreds, but you can use any of your favourite plant based cheeses, just make sure it melts well!
Can you make this without vegan chicken?
Yes! You can simply leave out the vegan chicken for a creamy, cheesy dip. However we do recommend keeping the vegan chicken or subbing it our for soy curls has it creates the perfect dip.
Can this dip be made ahead of time?
Yes! Just do all the steps up until you bake the dip. Store the dip in an oven-safe baking container in the fridge and when ready bake the dip until warmed through, bubbly on the edges, and the cheese on top is melted.
What is buffalo sauce?
Buffalo sauce is combination of bottled cayenne-based hot sauce and a fat, most commonly butter. The fat balances out the spice of the hot sauce to create a smooth, creamy, super-flavourful, and mild in spice sauce.
Other vegan appetizer recipes you’ll love:
- Mediterranean 7-Layer Dip
- Warm Spinach & Artichoke Dip
- Vegan Sausage Rolls
- Air-Fried Buffalo Pickles
- Vegan Mushroom Wings (3 Ways)
How to make Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip:
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vegetable oil
- 50 g (2) shallots, sliced
- 227 g vegan chicken chunks
- 60 mL (¼ cup) buffalo sauce
- 120 g (½ cup) vegan sour cream
- 227 g (1 cup) vegan cream cheese
- 120 mL (½ cup) buffalo sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- salt & pepper
- 120 g (1 cup) vegan mozzarella shreds
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 2 tbsp chives, minced
- 60 g (½ cup) vegan smoked gouda shreds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To a pan over medium heat add vegetable oil until warm. Cook shallots for 1-2 minutes. Add vegan chicken to pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden and crispy. Add buffalo sauce and toss to coat, cook for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To a food processor combine sour cream, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Process until creamy and smooth.
- To a large bowl combine cooked buffalo chicken, creamy dip mixture, shredded mozzarella, fresh dill, and chives. Stir until combined.
- Pour into an oven-safe dish (we used a cast iron pan), top with shredded gouda and bake for 25-30 minutes until warmed all the way through and the cheese is melted on top. You may need to broil at the end for 2-3 minutes.