Kat here to let you know that I’m obsessed with savoury oatmeal. Last year we created a video that had a sweet and a savoury oatmeal and the rest is history. I honestly don’t think I’ve had a sweet oatmeal since. Over the past year I’ve developed a bunch of savoury oatmeal recipes using my favourite flavour profiles. Which was my favourite? Introducing the Korean Savoury Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl.
Savoury oatmeal is basically like having risotto for breakfast, except it’s acceptable and it doesn’t take 30 minutes to make. Now what makes savoury oats different? To amp up the flavour we cook out oats in a broth or flavoured water of some kind. The flavour from the water infuses in the oats and packs a serious flavour punch. Then just as you would regular oatmeal top it with your favourite toppings. I don’t know about you but I love a loaded oatmeal. I like to think of oatmeal kind of like ramen where it’s all in the toppings. Am I right or am I right?
This Korean Savoury Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl is cooked in a gochujang broth and topped with nori, kimchi, sesame seeds and so much more! Check out the full recipe and video below.
Korean Savoury Oatmeal Breakfast BowlPrint
- 1/2 cup (45 g) rolled oats
- 1 tsp Better than Bouillon broth paste
- 1 tsp gochujang, (Korean Red Pepper Paste)
- 1 cup (150 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp lemongrass paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- sesame seeds
- To a saucepan add the rolled oats, broth paste, gochujang, ginger paste, lemongrass paste, water, maple syrup and soy sauce. Stir until everything is well combined and cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until the oatmeal is tender.
- Serve in a bowl and top with your desired toppings. We recommend cilantro, nori, kimchi and sesame seeds.
How to make Vegan Korean Savoury Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl