Vegan Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta made with a non-dairy sun-dried tomato cream sauce, kale, and al dente pasta! With a hint of spice, this easy dinner will be come a weeknight dinner favourite.
Looking for the BEST pasta recipe ever? This dairy-free, eggless and 100% vegan creamy pasta recipe might just be the one. This easy Vegan Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta is packed full of some of our favourite flavours like sun-dried tomatoes, shallots, chili, and kale!
This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes, making it the perfect weeknight dinner. Just cook your pasta until al dente and set aside. Then to make the creamy vegan sauce with a medley of flavourful ingredients. Finally toss the cooked pasta in your sauce and serve! Yep, that easy.
Top tips for making Vegan Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta:
- Cook until just under al dente. After boiling the pasta, we also cook it in the sauce for about a minute at the end. To avoid overcooked pasta, cook the pasta until just under al dente.
- Cook the spices. To extract extra flavour and bring the dish to the next level, add the spices early in the dish so that it can bring those delicious flavours forward.
- Cook the flour, before adding liquid. No one likes the taste of raw flour, cook the flour before adding in the liquid for a few minutes to avoid this.
- Use pasta water for an extra luscious sauce. What’s the secrets to super creamy sauce that hangs onto the pasta? The pasta cooking water! Just make sure to reserve some liquid before draining the pasta water and add to the almost finished sauce for the best kick of flavour and texture you need.
Vegan Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta FAQ:
How do you know when your pasta is cooked?
We find the best way is to simply taste it! You want it al dente which should be slightly firm with bitten into. If it tastes gummy, it’s overcooked.
Can you use any non-dairy milk?
Yes! We like soy milk but you can use any non-dairy milk for this creamy pasta that you want.
How do you make a creamy sauce without cream?
There are a few things we do when trying to make a creamy vegan sauce. Firstly choose a creamy non-dairy milk like soy milk. Secondly you want to make a roux this makes a thick and creamy sauce. Finally adding a bit of pasta water goes a long way!
How to make Vegan Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta:
Vegan Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
- 250 g bow tie pasta, uncooked
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) oil, (from sun-dried tomatoes)
- 28 g (2 tbsp) vegan butter
- 46 g (2) shallots, sliced
- 150 g (2 cups) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, sliced
- 38 g (4 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 g (½ tsp) smoked paprika
- 1 g (1 tsp) red pepper flakes
- 1 g (1 tsp) Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 15 g (2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 240 mL (1 cup) non-dairy milk
- 240 mL (1 cup) veggie broth
- 18 g (1 tbsp) miso pasta
- 11 g (3 tbsp) nutritional yeast
- 100 g (3 cups) kale, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Before draining, reserve some of the pasta water (about 1 cup) aside for later in the recipe.
- To a pan over medium-high heat, add oil and vegan butter. Once heated, add shallots and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook until shallots are translucent. Add garlic and cook for an addition 30 seconds.
- Add smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add all-purpose flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in non-dairy milk and veggie broth and stir until combined. Dissolve the miso paste into the sauce and stir. Cook until it starts to thicken. Sprinkle in nutritional yeast. Turn the heat to low and stir in the chopped kale. Stir in about half the pasta water, add more if the sauce needs thinning.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to combine.
Pin it for later: