Grilled Tofu Pita
These super simple, yet delicious Grilled Tofu Pita Wraps will be your new favourite summertime dinner.
You know we love to fire up the grill in the summer and these Grilled Tofu Pita Wraps will show you why. Fresh flavours and endless textures make this recipe a summertime hit. Marinated tofu is packed with flavour, then grilled until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Paired with a creamy hummus spread, red onion, cucumbers, fresh mint, vegan feta, and roasted garlic lemon dressing.
This recipe was inspired by the Greek dish, souvlaki. Traditionally souvlaki is cooked on a skewer over a grill – not to be confused with gyros which is meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie. Typically served with pita, tomatoes and tzatziki – ours differs from the traditional which is why we didn’t call ours souvlaki.
Top Tips for Making Grilled Tofu Pita Wraps
- Marinate longer for even more flavour! The longer you marinate tofu, the more flavour it has.
- A grill basket is key for quick and efficient cooking. You can opt to use skewers, but the grill baskets helps ensure you get an even cook all over.
- Grill your pita so that it’s just warm to the touch. This will not only help improve the taste and eating experience, but it also helps to make it more pliable.
- Add some dressing on the side for a little something extra. This pita is great as is, but if you have leftovers of the Roasted Garlic Lemon Dressing, we highly recommend having some on the side for dipping your pita.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Roasted Garlic Lemon Dressing – If you don’t want to make a full batch of our dressing (which you definitely should if you can), then subbing for a simple lemon vinaigrette would work nicely.
- Red Onion – Shallots or green onions would work, but they would alter the taste greatly. If you need to use a different onion, we’d recommend pickling it first.
- Cucumber – Cucumber offers a great fresh crunch to this wrap, but you can also achieve this with zucchini slices or even slice pickles.
- Tofu – Using mock chicken or tempeh is a great alternative.
- Avocado Oil – Any oil will do but especially olive oil.
- Soy Sauce – Tamari or coconut aminos are a good substitute.
- Roasted Garlic Hummus – Any hummus will do or you could use some tahini.
- Vegan Mayo – You can leave this out or replace it with some mashed avocado but this will definitely alter the taste a lot.
Grilled Tofu Pita Wrap
- 4 pitas
- 1 batch Roasted Garlic Lemon Dressing
- 100 g (1 cup) red onion sliced
- 150 g (½ small) English cucumbers thinly sliced
- 15 g (½ cup) fresh mint
- vegan feta , for topping (optional)
- 454 g (1 block) firm tofu
- 60 mL (¼ cup) avocado oil
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) water
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 10 mL (2 tsp) soy sauce
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- salt to taste
- 120 g (½ cup) roasted garlic hummus
- 57 g (¼ cup) vegan mayo
- Prepare tofu marinade by combining all tofu souvlaki ingredients (except tofu) in a shallow dish or tupperware. Using your hands tear the tofu into bite sized pieces and add to marinade. Toss to coat and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare the hummus spread by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Cook Tofu (2 Options)
- (Option 1) On the grill: Preheat your grill on high heat. Using a grill basket (or you can skewer them) and grill until you tofu is golden and crispy. As they cook brush on more marinade.
- (Option 2) In the oven: Preheat oven to 400F. Place marinated tofu on a lined baking sheet with some space between each piece. Bake for 25-30 minutes flipping halfway.
- Heat your pita, either on the grill or oven (depending on how you cooked your tofu), for 5 minutes or until just slightly warmed.
- Spread hummus mixture on pita, top with tofu souvlaki, red onion, cucumbers, whole mint leaves and vegan feta (if using). Finish with a drizzle of the roasted garlic lemon dressing.
Pin this recipe for later 👇