Just 10 ingredients and you can have this dreamy Creamy Tomato Soup. Filled with simple, yet flavourful ingredients – this comforting bowl will be your new favourite fall soup.
It’s October and that means it’s soup season. A season filled with comfy sweaters, warm lattes and big bowls of delicious soup. This Creamy Tomato Soup, that just so happens to be vegan (duh) and made with just 10 simple ingredients, is our new favourite weeknight dinner.
This soup comes together quickly, with little mess. All you need to do is cook down your onions and garlic in a little vegan butter. Add in the rest of your ingredients (except the non-dairy milk) and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend it up until smooth and combine with your choice of non-dairy milk (we love using coconut milk for this recipe). Season with some salt and pepper and serve with homemade vegan grilled cheese!
Top tips for making easy Creamy Tomato Soup:
- San Marzano tomatoes are a must for a super flavourful, but quick dinner. Typically soups need a long simmer to develop flavour – because this soup uses high-quality flavourful ingredients you can shorten the cook time.
- The longer you simmer the soup, the more flavour develops. This soup tastes delicious in under 30 minutes, but if you have the time letting it simmer for an extra 10 or 20 minutes is never a bad idea.
- Use a high-speed blender for a super creamy texture. If you don’t mind a little grit, using an immersion blender is fine, but if you want something silky smooth a high-speed blender is the way to go.
- Serve with grilled cheese because what is tomato soup without a delicious crunchy grilled cheese.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Vegan Butter – A great flavour addition to this soup, but if you’d prefer something else you can substitute vegan butter with olive oil, coconut oil or vegetable oil.
- Shallots – If you don’t want to use shallots you can sub with white or yellow onions.
- Maple Syrup – You know we love this Canadian classic, but you can use any liquid sweetener of your choice – or if you want brown or granulated sugar.
- San Marzano Tomatoes – San Marzano tomatoes add a LOT of flavour to this recipe, but if you prefer you can use regular canned tomatoes. However if you do, we’d recommend simmering your recipe for longer than 10 minutes to develop more flavour.
- Coconut Milk – Any non-dairy milk will do, but the coconut milk offers a great flavour and richness.
How to make vegan Creamy Tomato Soup:
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 28 g (2 tbsp) vegan butter
- 84 g (3) shallots, diced
- 20 g (6 cloves) garlic, minced
- 3 g (1 tbsp) dried oregano
- 5 mL (1 tsp) maple syrup
- 10 g (1 cup, lightly packed) fresh basil
- 1 can san marzano tomatoes, (28 fl oz)
- 480 mL (2 cups) veggie broth
- 240 mL (1 cup) coconut milk*
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat butter in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the dried oregano, maple syrup, fresh basil, san marzano tomatoes, and veggie broth.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, once boil reduce down to medium-low heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or a high speed blender) puree the soup until smooth. Add soup back to pot and stir in the coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grilled cheese, crispy croutons or a drizzle of coconut milk.
Pin it for later: