As a part of Go Vegan, Go Broke we thought we made recipes using ingredients bought from the dollar store. Due to location or resources, some have to purchase their groceries from the dollar store. We want to ensure that even if you buy groceries from the dollar store, you’re still able to make delicious recipes that will satisfy you. Both of us were surprised at the recipes we were able to make using minimal ingredients at our chosen stores. For the purpose of this challenge Devin used ingredients found at Dollar Tree and Katherine used ingredients from Dollarama.
For the purpose of this challenge we allowed for a simple “pantry” box of ingredients to use free of charge. These included oil, one spice (we both used chili powder), salt, pepper and water. These are ingredients we assumed most would already have in their houses. Kat channelled her inner Italian for this week. Using just seven ingredients, Katherine made delicious Air-Fried Tomato Arancini. Using just eight ingredients, Devin made a mouth-watering Taco Bowl.
Our vegan Air-Fried Tomato Arancini are probably making every Italian cry, but we think they’re delicious! Katherine tried to think as creativity and use as little ingredients as possible. By using canned coconut milk to bind, she didn’t have to find a non-dairy milk and flour from the dollar store, which would have brought the price up. The perfect combination of savoury and sweet and would make perfect appetizers.
Devin went out of her comfort zone and put on a chef’s hat for this episode. Without any guidance from Katherine, Devin was able to make the perfect combination of taco-y goodness. A simple recipe ideal for you weekday lunch or dinner!
Katherine's Air-Fried Tomato Arancini
- 1 tbsp oil plus 1 tsp for air fryer
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water plus additional depending on rice
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 tbsp hot chili powder optional
- 2 cups melba toast crackers
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to a medium pot for about 1 minute. Add your rice and pan fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add your water, can of tomato soup and chili powder if you are adding it to your pot and mix until all incorporated. Bring to a boil, then drop temperature to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Be sure to stir about every 5 minutes to ensure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot. Once all the water has been absorbed, you may need to add more water depending on your rice, give it a quick taste and add another 1/2 cup of water if uncooked. You are looking for a creamy risotto consistency.
- Spread your tomato risotto on a lined baking sheet until completely cooled.
- To a food processor add your crackers and Italian seasoning and process until a bread crumb consistency.
- Add your coconut milk to a bowl and your bread crumbs to another bowl.
- Once your rice is completely cooled, roll into about 15 even balls (or whatever size you want). Then coat in the coconut milk and then in bread crumbs. Add to your air fryer. If you are using an Acti-Fry be sure to removed the turning paddle.
- Add 1 tsp of oil to your air fryer and cook your balls until crispy. This will take anywhere between 20-30 minutes depending on your air fryer. Be sure to check in every 10 minutes, and flip and rotate your balls in order for an even cook.
- Dip in some coconut milk and enjoy!!
Devin's Taco Bowl
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can sliced potatoes
- 1 pkg taco seasoning divded
- 2 tsp oil divided
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can corn
- 1/4 cup salsa plus more for topping
- pickled jalapenos for topping
- Cook your rice according to the instructions on the package.
- While your rice cooks, drain and rinse your potatoes. Once rinsed, pat your potatoes dry with a paper towel or cloth and add to a mixing bowl. Add about 1/2 your taco seasoning into the bowl and mix well with potatoes. Add a sprinkle of salt if you would like. Add to your air fryer along with 1 tsp of oil and cook for about 20-25 minutes. You can also probably bake these at 350F for about 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Once your rice is cooked you can add it to a pan along with 1 tsp of oil, along with your rinsed kidney beans and rinsed corn. Cook this until heated through.
- Add the rest of your taco seasoning to your rice along with your salsa and mix.
- Serve by add your rice to a bowl, topping with potatoes, pickled jalapenos and some salsa.