Rustic, hearty and packed with vegetables! This Farro Vegetable Soup has everything you need to get you through the final weeks of winter.
If you know us, you know Kat is OBSESSED with soup. It’s one of the many reasons she likes colder weather, because it’s also soup season! Were in the final weeks of winter and this Farro Vegetable Soup is just what you need.
But first, what is farro?
Farro is a whole grain with ancient roots – packed with nutrients, minerals and antioxidants. We’ve recently been turned onto farro and think it should be a staple in everyone’s (unless your gluten free of course) pantry. Just 1/4 cup of this deliciously nutty, chewy grain packs 7 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber! With a delicious nutty flavour, farro lends itself perfectly to soups, stews, sautes and casseroles. Because it’s a whole grain, it can take a little longer to cook until tender – to speed up the process you can give it a soak overnight.
The base of this soup starts with a classic mirepoix (carrots, onion and celery) – it’s the perfect base for hearty vegetable soups like this one. It provides deep earthy flavours to build a great soup on. To boost the flavour we added in garlic, salt and pepper. Now the soup starts truly coming together – just add the farro, diced tomatoes, water, bouillon paste and navy beans. Let it cook with the lid on for about 20 minutes then add in some chopped kale for extra nutrition. Plus don’t forget to season with salt and pepper throughout cooking! Super simple and super delicious.
In the winter time, Kat likes to make big batches of hearty soups take them for lunch and freeze the leftovers. This soup is perfect for that! A single batch lasts about a week if you’re eating it at least once a day. However if you need to store some for later, just freeze it in an air-tight container. When you’re ready to enjoy your soup just allow it to thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or stove top. If you can’t wait for it to thaw, runt he container under warm water until it loosens enough to slide of of the container – then just add to a pot over medium heat with a little water and cook until thawed and warmed.
Farro Vegetable Soup
- 15 mL oil
- 120 g (1 medium) onion, diced
- 65 g (2 stalks) celery, sliced
- 65 g (2 medium) carrots, halved and sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 9 g (1 tbsp) garlic, minced
- 188 g (1 cup) farro
- 292 g (1 can) navy beans, drained and rinseed
- 28 fl oz (1 can) diced tomatoes
- 268 g (4 cups) kale, chopped
- 1440 mL (6 cups) water
- 36 g (2 tbsp) bouillon paste
- parsley, for topping
- To a pot on medium-high heat add oil and heat 1 min. Add onion and cook about 2 minutes. Add garlic, celery and carrots, cook an additional 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add farro and cook about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, water, bouillon paste and beans. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until farro is tender, covered.
- Once ready add in kale and stir until just wilted. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.