A soy-free, high protein pantry-friendly chickpea scramble for the perfect weekday breakfast.
Cooking from mostly your pantry can be difficult, especially when you’re used to cooking with fresh ingredients and most of your diet is veggie based. This super easy pantry-friendly chickpea scramble is the perfect starting base to a delicious vegan breakfast or lunch!
The key pantry-friendly ingredients that shine in this chickpea scramble:
- Canned Chickpeas
- Liquid Smoke
To make this pantry-friendly chickpea scramble all you have to do is mash your chickpeas with your desired seasonings. Alternatively you can use a food processor and pulse until you get the desired consistency. Next up cook some diced onion and garlic in a little vegan butter until tender and add in the mashed chickpeas. Cook until slightly crispy and the chickpeas are tender. Add in some liquid smoke for a little punch of flavour. Last but definitely not least, add a little black salt (or kala namak) for the perfect egg-y flavour.
Use this as the perfect base for a breakfast plate or sandwich. Devin has also been loving it with a little vegan mayo as a mashed chickpea “egg” salad sandwich.
What substitutes can be made?
Certain ingredients are hard to come by right now, so don’t worry if you don’t have everything. See below for the a list of substitutions that should be okay for this recipe. Please keep in mind that this recipe was only tested the way its been posted so we cannot guarantee that the flavour and texture will be exactly the same.
- Chickpeas – If you don’t want to use chickpeas you can also use a vegan egg substitute like Just Egg or crumbled firm tofu!
- Liquid Smoke – If you don’t have liquid smoke on hand, you can add a great smoky flavour with a little smoked paprika instead.
- Fresh Garlic – You can use garlic powder here!
- Fresh Onion – You can use onion powder here!
- Vegan Butter – Use any plant-based oil or a little water if you want an oil-free scramble.
Share your photo recipes of your version of our Pantry-Friendly Chickpea Scramble with us by tagging us on Instagram in your food photos! Plus don’t forget to pin this recipe for later.
Pantry-Friendly Chickpea Scramble
- 1 540 mL can chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- black pepper, , to taste
- 14 g (1 tbsp) vegan butter
- 3 g (1 clove) garlic, , minced
- 20 g (1/4 cup) onion, , diced
- 1.25 mL (1/4 tsp) liquid smoke
- 1 tsp black salt, (less if you don't want it very egg-y)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and add to a medium sized bowl. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the chickpeas. Optionally, you can use a food processor to pulse them a bit. You can also remove some of the ‘skins’ as you're mashing if you want.
- Once the chickpeas are mashed to your liking, add in the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and black pepper and mix until all combined.
- In a pan over medium heat, add vegan butter. Once butter is melted and pan is warmed, add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or under tender. Add chickpea mixture and stir regularly until is is heated. If you’re finding the mixture looks too dry, you can drizzle in some oil and mix it until combined. Next, add in the liquid smoke and mix to combine. Finally, remove the mixture from the heat and add the black salt and mix to combine.
- Serve alongside toast and vegan bacon, or in a sandwich with vegan mayo like an ‘egg’ salad sandwich.