Is there anything better than peanut butter and chocolate? These Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies are soft, chewy, and just the right amount of crumbly. They quite literally melt in your mouth.
You know what’s better than peanut butter cookies? Peanut butter cookies loaded with gooey chocolate chunks. Looking for a way to spruce up your favourite peanut butter cookies? We added chocolate chunks to ours and we simple cannot get enough.
While the cookies may seem fancy, they truly couldn’t be simpler. Whip up these cookies in just 30 minutes, start to finish, for the perfect mid-week treat. This recipe is also great to make with your little ones help if looking for a weekend activity.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- The perfect pairing of chocolate and peanut butter.
- Quick and easy to make.
- Made with just a few simple ingredients.
Top tips for making peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies:
- Use smooth peanut butter. We recommend using smooth peanut butter for the best result, it offers the best texture after baking.
- Cream butter and sugar well. For a light an airy cookie creaming the butter and sugar together is essential. This not only creates the right texture but also helps the cookie to rise.
- Don’t over mix the dough. Overmixed cookie dough will start to develop gluten and result in a gummy, bread-like cookie. Mix until the flour is just combined and no more.
- The size of the chocolate chunks matter. Neither larger or smaller chunks is better, it’s all about your preference. If you prefer intense puddles of chocolate, keep the chunks bigger, but if you want smaller bits of chocolate throughout the cookie chop the chocolate finely.
- All-Purpose Flour – We use the store brand unbleached all-purpose flour, in particular the non name brand from President’s Choice.
- Vegan Butter – We use Becel Plant Based Butter for our recipes, but you can use any other vegan butter brand.
- Peanut Butter – This recipe was made using natural smooth peanut butter which is what we recommend. However if there is a different type of smooth peanut butter that you prefer, it should work.
- Dark Chocolate – Use your favourite dark chocolate bar and chop it into the sizes you want. We recommend splurging on your favourite since its a big part of the flavour profile.
Other vegan cookies recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Brownie Cookies
- Small Batch Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Pretzel Cookies
How to make Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies:
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 75 g smooth peanut butter
- 75 g vegan butter, melted
- 150 g (¾ cup) granulated sugar
- 100 g (½ cup) brown sugar
- 1 flax egg, (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp lukewarm water)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 300 g (2½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- kosher salt
- 90 g chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Combine peanut butter, melted vegan butter, and sugars in a medium bowl. Once creamed together, add flax egg and vanilla – mix to combine.
- Add the all-purpose flour, baking, baking powder, and salt to the wet mixture and fold in until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Using a 3 tbsp cooking scoop, scoop cookies on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. You may need multiple baking sheets or to bake in batches.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Allow to cool for 5-7 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.