Herby, nutty pesto in between delicious flaky, buttery layers of puff pastry. Whether your serving up a pasta dinner or party appetizers, our Pesto Puff Pastry Twists are waiting to be consumed.
Any good side or appetizer should obviously be delicious, but it should also be simple. Whether you’re making this as a side or an appetizer, you’ve got more important aspects of your night to focus on. You shouldn’t be spending your entire night prepping a small part of a much bigger meal.
All you need is a handful of ingredients for a homemade pesto, store-bought puff pastry, and seasoned bread crumbs. Apart they’re simple ingredients, but together they make a seriously addicting recipe. Keep in mind, that this recipe calls for store-bought puff pastry. When looking for your own be sure to check ingredients! A lot of puff pastry has butter or lard, and those are big no-nos for vegans.
We love these because you can go ahead and make our pesto, or simply buy a pre-made one! With pre-made pesto and puff pastry, this is the easiest appetizer you’ll ever make. You could even skip the crumb topping and these will still be amazing!
Pesto Puff Pastry Twists
- 1 pkg puff pastry
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, , juiced
- salt & pepper, , to taste
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/8 cup fresh thyme
- 1/8 cup fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup vegan bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roll puff pastry to about 1/4" thick. Cut into 1" strips and set aside.
- To a food processor add pesto ingredients and process until almost smooth. You still want a couple chunks for texture.
- Spread pesto along each strip. To twist, fold in half length-wise and twist until desired. To get a visual of what we are doing in this step, please see the video below. Place on a lined baking sheet and set aside.
- To a food process add crumb topping ingredients and process until you get a bread crumb consistency.
- Brush each twist with melted butter and dust with the crumb topping. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.