Chewy on the insides with perfectly crispy edges and LOTS of chocolate, the Chocolate Chunk Cookies dreams are made of.
These cookies are literally two years in the making. Katherine has spent the better part of the last two years making a LOT of chocolate chunk cookies. Not that she’s complaining, but she’s so happy to finally be able to share this recipe with you and on National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.
First let’s look at what makes these cookies perfect:
- Chewy on the inside.
- Crispy on the outside.
- The perfect amount of spread.
- Buttery, but not oily.
- Lots of chocolate.
With our must-haves done – we set out to make the cookie. After many, many trials and lots of errors we found them. Perfectly chewy and gooey on the inside, while still being crispy on the outside. They’re loaded with chocolate and spread like a dream. They’re super buttery in flavour and texture, but don’t feel oily. If you’ve ever looked for the perfect Chocolate Chunk Cookie, look no further.
Before we continue, let’s address the elephant in the room. Why chocolate chunks versus chips? As you may or may not know, Kat is passionate about chocolate chunks and never chocolate chips – at least when it comes to cookies. One of the main reasons she prefers freshly chopped chunks it their melt-ability. Chocolate chips are designed to hold their shape in the heat, which is definitely not what she looks for in cookies. She wants that melty, gooey chocolate-y goodness. Plus with the different sizes of chunks and shavings you get more chocolate distributed throughout the entire cookie and who doesn’t want that. Long story short, chocolate chunks is the way to go every single time.
Everything in this recipe is measured and done for a reason. It was tested a varying temperatures, pan colours and order of instructions. What we did for this recipe is done for a very particular reason therefore for best results follow this recipe as closely as you can.
Check out the full recipe and video below.
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 150 g butter
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 175 g white sugar
- 125 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 18 g crushed chips
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 3 flax eggs, 15 g ground flax + 120mL water
- 150 g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 340F.
- Mix flax eggs and set aside.
- To a small sauce pan on low heat, melt butter. Once melted add in almond butter and stir. Add brown sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile mix baking soda with flour and set aside.
- To a stand mixer add white sugar and cooled melted butter mixture - beat on low until smooth. Add in flax egg and vanilla. Beat 1-2 minutes. Slowly add in flour until incorporated. Beat in crushed chips and chocolate chunks.
- Using a cookie scoop place cookie dough on a lined dark baking sheet. Stick to 6 per baking sheet as these cookies spread a lot. Bake 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest on hot baking sheet 5 minute before transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat for all the cookie dough.*
How to make the BEST Chocolate Chunk Cookies ever (video)