A few months ago we made these delicious Veggie Hand Pies. Think pot pies, but portable – they are delicious. However there was something about the dough we made, that reminded us exactly of the frozen pizza pockets we used to eat as kids. You know those ones that your parents never wanted to have because they were bad for you or something? They come round or in half circles? Yeah, those ones. Obviously that meant we had to make those delicious pockets into vegan pizza pockets!
Seriously every single bite of these just remind us of our childhood. From the oozing cheese to the delicious pastry, we are in pizza pocket heaven. Since the dough is one we’ve made before simply changing the ingredients to say add store bought cheese, sauce, and vegan pepperoni was just a little too simple for us. Instead we decided to do our own little TMG twist on it and make our own homemade pizza sauce.
The pizza sauce is perfect with these pizza pockets. It’s packed full of delicious roasted vegetables which adds the perfect complexity to an otherwise simple dish. With each bite you get a new flavour, and as you chew more and more comes it. Who knew pizza pockets could be so fancy!?
The best part about these vegan pizza pockets is that they’re freezeable! Once they are done baking, pop them in a freezer individually wrapped in tin foil. To cook from frozen all you have to do is remove the foil and place on paper towel in the microwave for about 3 minutes (flipping halfway). To reheat them in the oven, bake them for about 20-30 minutes in an oven at 350F.
Vegan Pizza Pockets
- 1 batch hand pie dough
- 2 cups vegan cheese shreds
- 1 pkg vegan pepperoni
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 dehydrated flower mushrooms
- 5 medium-sized tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium-sized carrot, , peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 sweet onion
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- salt + pepper, , to taste
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prepare a batch of our hand pie dough.
- Place the dehydrated mushrooms in boiling water for about 10-15 minutes, or until soft. We will be using both the mushrooms and the broth-y liquid so don't drain them.
- To prepare the roasted vegetable sauce: Quarter the tomatoes and place on a lined baking sheet, along with a sweet onion quartered, cloves of garlic, carrot roughly chopped, celery roughly chopped, and dehydrated mushrooms cut in half. Drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper - and toss to coat. Bake for 30 or until everything is nice and roasted.
- Once the veggies have roasted remove from the oven and let cool for about 5-10 minutes. Don't turn the oven off just yet we'll be baking the pockets soon.
- Toss the roasted veggies into your blender along with 1/4 cup of the mushroom broth the dehydrated mushrooms made, and fresh basil. Blend until it's nice and smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thick and using a cookie cutter your desired size cut out circles of dough. We used a bowl because we wanted bigger pockets. Our bowl was about 6" in diameter and that yielded about 12 pockets.
- Spread about 1 tbsp of sauce per circle of dough (depending on size and desired taste) - make sure to leave about 1/2" of space all around untouched. Add some vegan cheese and pepperoni (or other desired toppings).
- Using your finger wet the perimeter of the circle and fold over to close. Press around the edge to make sure it's sealed, with both your finger and again with a fork. Repeat until all are made.
- Using a sharp knife cut a small slit on the top of each pocket so steam can escape while baking.
- Finally brush with some melted butter and sprinkle with garlic powder and pop them in an oven for about 30 minutes. Then broil about 2 minutes to get golden brown dough, but watch them carefully as they can easily burn.