We love take-out. There is something about the convenience and deliciousness of take-out food that just calls to us. Some of the best memories are made over good take-out. When you’re first moving in and don’t have a working stove or sink, take-out is there for you. You get home late after a long day of work, take-out is there for you. Having a girls night in, take-out is there for you. Long story short, take-out is there for you.
Chinese take-out is one of our favourites. However once you go vegan it can be difficult to order Chinese and know what is vegan or not. That’s why we’re teaching you how to make your favourite dishes, at home, quickly, and vegan! First up is everyone’s favourite rice dish; Vegetable Fried Rice.
Vegetable Fried Rice is an easy elevation to simple rice. It is especially perfect because it is best made with day-old rice which means you can make this with leftovers! Fried Rice can be made delicious with minimal ingredients and time. After all the point of take-out is simplicity. Making this take-out substitute at home, makes this fan-favourite dish fresher and probably a lot healthier.
We went fairly classic with this dish adding carrots, corn, green peas and mushrooms to the rice. However we love the creativity of this dish because you can add so much more to this as well. We would love to add kale, broccoli, bell peppers, tofu or vegan chicken. What is your favourite vegetables to add a fried rice? The most important thing about fried rice from our experience is simplicity. Do not over complicate the flavours and sauce, the less complicated the more flavourful.
Vegan Vegetable Fried Rice
- 2 cups day old rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- It is important for fried rice to have all your ingredients prepped ahead of time. Making it moves quickly, so having everything at the ready makes it a lot easier.
- Once all your ingredients have been prepped, add your sesame oil to your wok and heat. Once your wok and oil have heated up add in your onion, garlic, ginger and carrots. Sautee until your onions are translucent. To help your carrots cook all the way through cover with a lid to steam and sweat a little bit.
- Once your onions are translucent add your mushrooms and sautee for a minute or two. Add your corn and peas and toss to defrost and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in your rice and soy sauce and toss to coat. All it to cook untouched for about 2-3 minutes if you would like some of the rice to crisp up. Toss then repeat.
Watch the video