September has always felt like a fresh start for me. Maybe it’s because I’ve spent a majority of my life in school and that’s what signified a new school year or maybe it’s the change of season. For whatever reason September felt like a second January. I would tell myself that September was a new start, that I’d be more organized and learn how to meal prep. I never did.
At the beginning of this month we decided to start small with our meal prep – breakfast. The breakfast burritos we made seriously changed our mornings. However, it’s somehow halfway through September already and I’ve seemed to slip back into old habits – meaning meal prep isn’t happening. That’s why we’re trying meal prep again – well this time it’s snack prep (our favourite kind of meal prep).
If you’re a coconut fan, you’ll love these granola bars. These chocolate coconut granola bars are super easy to make and are packed full of coconut goodness. If coconut isn’t your thing be sure to check out of nut and seed bars. One bowl and pot is all you need to make these delicious bars, plus whatever you want to set them in. Even better, you don’t have to use your oven at all!
One of my biggest pet peeves about granola bars is how unhealthy they are. Is it just me or do you not expect something with granola in the name to be at least kind of healthy? Well they are not healthy at all – the amount of sugar in those bars are crazy. We like to make our own so that we know exactly whats in our granola bars. There still is quite a bit of sugar, as it’s hard to make granola bars without it, but at least we’re in control.
Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup puffed quinoa
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, , melted
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper for easy bar removal.
- In a large bowl combine oats, puffed quinoa, and coconut shreds. Mix until combined.
- In a saucepan on low heat add the brown rice syrup and almond butter. Mix constantly until it just starts to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet mixture over the oat mixture and using a wooden spoon stir until all the dry ingredients are coated with the syrup.
- Dump the entire granola mixture into the lined dish and using your hand press it into the baking dish until it's evenly thick.
- Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes or until solid. Once solid slice into bars your desired size and drizzle with some melted chocolate. Place back in the freezer to set the chocolate. Keep either refrigerated or frozen until ready to eat.
How to make chocolate coconut granola bars