Super simple, Grilled Cabbage Wedges with a creamy turmeric dill dressing.
Grill season is without a doubt one of our favourite seasons! From burgers to kebabs – grilling truly brings out the best in us. But one of our favourite things about grill season is taking unconventional ingredients and and giving them new life on the grill. These crispy, yet tender Grilled Cabbage Wedges are a great way to bring new life to a often forgotten veggie.
This year we’ve been working to focus showcasing just how delicious vegetables can be. These Grilled Cabbage Wedges were inspired by The First Mess’ Grilled Cabbage with Sunshine Tahini Sauce and The Kitchn’s Grilled Cabbage Wedges with Spicy Lime Dressing.
Our top tips for grilled cabbage:
- Don’t cut the stem! – To avoid a Styrofoam-like cabbage mess on your grill keep your cabbage stem intact as best as you can.
- Be patient – To avoid sticking and your cabbage from falling apart (it’s very delicate) only flip it once! This means allowing the cabbage time to cook and char on each side only once!
- Thin wedges are key – Cabbage can take a while to cook, so we’d recommend cutting your wedges as thin as you can (without destroying the stem).
Simple substitutions for this recipe:
- Green Cabbage – If you don’t have access to green cabbage, swap with red cabbage, napa cabbage or savoy cabbage.
- Tahini – Sub with a nut or seed butter of your choice, just remember to choose appropriately to match with the other ingredients.
- Olive Oil – Sesame oil, avocado oil and any other neutral tasting oil would work as a substitute.
- Lemon Juice – Apple cider vinegar or lime juice is a great replacement!
- Maple Syrup – Agave nectar is a suitable substitute.
- Dried Dill – Fresh dill if you have it or other herbs, but that will drastically change the flavour profile.
- 800 g (1 small) green cabbage
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Turmeric Dill Dressing
- 120 mL (1/2 cup) tahini
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Preheat grill on high heat.
- Cut cabbage into 8 equal wedges. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Grill cabbage on all three side until just charred, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To a food processor or bowl combine all dressing ingredients and drizzle over grilled cabbage. Serve