Tender, seasoned grilled oyster mushrooms on a soft and pillow-y bun with tomato, lettuce, and mayo – this Grilled Oyster Mushroom Sandwich is calling your name.
Sometimes you just need a quick, easy, light, and delicious sandwich. This Grilled Oyster Mushroom Sandwich is inspired by a grilled chicken sandwich and it really does hit the spot. It’s perfectly light and paired with a fresh side – makes a great summer time lunch.
This sandwich utilizes the chicken-like texture of oyster mushrooms while also not shying away from showcasing the delicious flavour of it. We seasoned the oyster mushrooms with a combination of smoked paprika, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper giving the mushroom a familiar yet flavourful bite.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Quick and easy for the perfect summer lunch.
- Fresh, flavourful and vibrant.
- Delicious grilled or sautéed.
Top tips for making a grilled oyster mushroom sandwich:
- Keep the mushrooms in large chunks. For the best results we like to use oyster mushroom chunks roughly the size of a small chicken breast. Depending on the size of the buns you’re using, we recommend the oyster mushroom chunks should be big enough for one or two pieces per sandwich.
- Grill the buns. Because this sandwich, while delicious, is simpler it calls for small flavourful additions that don’t take a lot of effort. Grilling buns is a great way to do this. Pop them onto the grill for a few minutes at the end until light and toasty. For an even better result, we recommend using our homemade burger bun recipe.
- Oyster Mushrooms – We us oyster mushrooms, not to be confused with king oyster mushrooms. They are much smaller and usually sold in clumps. Aim to buy these in large chunks for the best sandwich results.
- Sweet Bread Buns – We use our homemade burger bun recipe that’s a slightly sweet and perfectly golden bun. It’s the perfect topper for this delicious sandwich.
- Seasonings – We use a blend of seasonings that provide a chicken-like familiarity. However you can adjust the seasoning to your liking.
How to make vegan grilled oyster mushroom sandwich:
Grilled Oyster Mushroom Sandwich
Grilled Oyster Mushrooms
- 300 g oyster mushrooms, large clumps
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 buns
- mayo, for topping
- shredded lettuce, for topping
- sliced tomatoes, for topping
- Tear the oyster mushrooms into large pieces and place in a large bowl.
- To the oyster mushrooms add olive oil, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Gently rub the seasonings to cover the mushrooms. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill. Once warm grill the marinated mushrooms until tender and slightly charred on the edges.
- When the mushrooms have just a couple minutes left, grill the buns until just toasted.
- Spread mayo on both buns, then top the bottom bun with shredded lettuce, then place 1-2 mushroom clusters, top with sliced tomatoes, and then the top bun.