This Vegan Lemon Garlic Rice is made in just one-pot and packed with flavour. Fluffy rice baked with lemon and garlic to create this light rice with a zippy after taste.
Looking for that super simple one pot recipe that can serve a crowd? This is it. This super simple rice recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner paired with some lemon pepper tofu and veggies. Kat recently made this recipe for a dinner party and it was a huge hit. Packed with flavour and super easy to make, we promise you’ll be making this one weekly.
This recipe starts on the stove to develop flavour and is finished off in the oven until the rice is fluffy and tender. It’s perfect for a weeknight or the weekend – we especially love it for dinner parties as it’s a mostly hands-off recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- A one-pot recipe with minimal ingredients.
- Features a bright and satisfying flavour.
- Comes together in under one hour.
Top tips for making Lemon Garlic Rice:
- Use a heavy-bottomed pan. We use our enameled cast iron skillet for this recipe as it holds heat super well and cooks the rice evenly.
- Cook the garlic in the rice. Yes, you can bake the garlic in the rice. They should take about the same amount of time to bake. However you can also cook them separately.
- Olive Oil – The flavour of olive oil compliments this recipe super well. However you could substitute this with vegetable oil or any other neutral oil that you have on hand.
- Shallot – We use shallot in many of our recipes, but if you don’t have them on hand you can replace with another onion like white onion.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic is what makes this recipe shine, do not substitute this ingredient.
- Parboiled Long Grain Rice – We don’t recommend substituting for another rice as the ratio of liquid to rice varies for all varieties of rice. If you do substitute you may need to adjust the liquid in the recipe.
- Vegetable Broth – Use your favourite vegetable broth or a homemade version. We like the Better than Bouillon varieties.
- Lemon – Fresh lemon juice is important for this recipe, so if you typically use pre-squeezed lemon juice we recommend buying fresh lemons for the best tasting rice.
Can you use any type of rice?
No unfortunately you can’t. Different rice varieties require different amounts of liquid. This recipe was only tested with parboiled long grain rice, any other grain could result in a less than delicious result.
Does this recipe store well?
Yes! In fact it’s great for meal prep or leftovers the next day for lunch. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge, after letting it cool to room temperature. When ready to eat, we just reheat in the microwave when taking it for lunch.
Other vegan recipes you’ll love:
How to make One-Pot Vegan Lemon Garlic Rice:
One-Pot Vegan Lemon Garlic Rice
Lemon Garlic Rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups parboiled long grain rice
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 lemons, juiced & zested
- parsley, for topping
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe pan, we use an enamel cast iron pan. Once warm add shallot, salt, and pepper and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and rice to to the pan and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with vegetable broth, then add oregano, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Turn off the heat.
- Cut the top of the head of garlic off, exposing the garlic inside, then place in the pan with the vegetable broth and rice. Drizzle the garlic with olive oil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until the rice is cooked and the garlic is golden.
- Once baked, allow to cool slightly, then remove the heads of garlic. Squeeze the garlic cloves into he rice and stir into the cooked rice.
- Sprinkle with parsley and stir into the rice.