Soft, pillow-y Orange Cranberry Loaf with a sweet cranberry glaze perfect for your holiday morning tea or dessert.
When we think of the Fall season there are many flavours that come to mind; pumpkin spice, butternut squash and our favourite cranberry orange. There’s just something about cranberries and oranges that go together like peanut butter and jelly, truly Fall’s dynamic duo.
Kat is a big promoter of cranberries. With most people only using them once or twice a year in cranberry sauce on their holiday table, she truly feels the delicious fruit is very underappreciated. It’s tart so you can control the sweetness and it’s great in many different recipes. Looking for more cranberry recipes? Check out all our past recipes here.
What you need for this recipe:
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Spatula
- Loaf Pan
So how to do you make this recipe? First up is the loaf! With only a couple bowls and utensils you make a delicious loaf batter. Pour into a buttered loaf pan and let the oven to the rest.Next up you’ll want to make the cranberry glaze. Just blend up the cranberries with some water and orange juice until smooth and combine with some icing sugar. Adjust to your own liking. Get the full detailed recipe below.
There are two key parts to making this recipe delicious – the orange flavour bomb with cranberry surprises within the loaf and the delicious cranberry glaze on top. This loaf comes together super quickly which means you can have this every day if you want to. We really suggest making two, because the first one will disappear quicker than you know.
Looking for an option that’s a little less sweet to enjoy it for breakfast? Try this recipe without the glaze! It’s just as delicious, but a LOT less sugar. You could even top it with a slightly sweetened yogurt instead.
Orange Cranberry Loaf
- 250 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 4 g (1 tsp) baking soda
- pinch salt
- 160 mL (3/4 cup) vegan buttermilk*
- 1 flax egg**
- 120 mL (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) coconut oil, , melted
- 100 g (1/2 cup) white sugar
- 105 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 6 g (1 tbsp) orange zest
- 110 g (1 cup) frozen cranberries
- 55 g (1/2 cup) cranberries
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) water
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 120 g (1 cup) icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a paper towel and a small dab of coconut oil, coat the inside of a loaf pan with oil. Set aside.
To make the loaf:
- Combine the vegan buttermilk and set aside. Make the vegan egg in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine vegan egg and both sugars. Whisk in the vegan buttermilk, coconut oil, orange juice and zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown.
To make the cranberry glaze:
- Combine cranberries, water and orange juice in a blender until smooth. Strain through a sieve and set the chunks aside. Add the strained liquid to icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Once the bread has cooled, drizzle the glaze over top and serve.