Soft and pillow-y loaf infused with orange zest and cranberries, topped with a vibrant cranberry orange glaze. This easy loaf is perfect for seasonal morning tea or dessert.
When we think of the fall and winter seasons there are many flavours that come to mind; pumpkin spice, butternut squash and of course our favourite, cranberry orange. There’s something about the tartness of cranberries and sweet flavour of the navel oranges that go together like no other. It’s truly a flavour dynamic duo.
If you know Kat, you know she LOVES cranberries. Most people have cranberries on their table just twice a year in the form of cranberry sauce for your holiday dinner. We’re here to shine a light on these tart bites. Because they’re so tart so you can control their sweetness and it pairs with many delicious flavours.
There are two main components to making this recipe so delicious; a light and fluffy loaf with a silky smooth cranberry orange glaze. It comes together super quickly and freezers really well, so you can have this every day if you want.
Looking for more cranberry recipes? Check out our Cranberry Hand Pies, Cranberry Orange Rolls, Cranberry BBQ Mushroom Wings, and more!
About the ingredients and tools:
- Frozen Cranberries – You can use fresh cranberries in place here but we recommend sticking with frozen cranberries for the best results.
- Oranges – We use navel oranges because they have both a sweet and acidic flavour to them.
- Vegan Buttermilk – To make vegan buttermilk all you need is some non-dairy milk, like soy milk, and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Coconut Oil – We use coconut oil in this recipe but if you prefer you can use melted vegan butter.
- Sugars – This loaf uses a combination of both brown and white sugar to produce the best flavour and texture. Please be aware that white sugars can be filtered through bone char (if this is an issue for you) but if you live in Canada most sugars are not.
- Flax Egg – To replace egg and bind everything together we use a flax egg. A flax egg is a mixture of ground flaxseeds and warm water until thickened into a gel.
- Baking Staples – Be sure to have your go-to baking staples like all-purpose flour and baking soda.
We love loaves because they’re super easy to make and use very little tools. As long as you have some basic cooking tools you can make this Orange Cranberry Loaf.
- Mixing Bowls – The loaf is made in a bowl, not a mixer, so be sure to have a large mixing bowl on hand for this recipe.
- Baking Spatula – For this loaf you need to fold in the cranberries to keep the dough fluffy, this is where a baking spatula is key.
- Loaf Pan – Obviously to make this loaf you need a loaf pan! We use an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 inch pan for this recipe.
- Whisk – This recipe uses a whisk to combine everything, except when folding in the cranberries.
How to make an Orange Cranberry Loaf:
Start by greasing a loaf pan with some coconut oil, making vegan buttermilk and flax eggs, set it aside while you make the rest of the recipe. To make the load combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In another bowl combine the flax egg and both sugars, then whisk in the vegan buttermilk, coconut oil, orange juice and zest. Combine the wet with the dry ingredients and whisk until combined, then fold in the cranberries with the spatula. Pour the prepared batter into the load pan and bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees fahrenheit for 45-60 minutes or until a deep golden colour.
Next make the cranberry glaze by blending cranberries with water and orange juice until smooth. Combine the blended cranberry juice with and combine with icing sugar, adjust to your liking, and glaze the baked loaf.
Orange Cranberry Loaf
- 250 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 4 g (1 tsp) baking soda
- pinch salt
- 160 mL (3/4 cup) vegan buttermilk*
- 1 flax egg**
- 120 mL (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) coconut oil, , melted
- 100 g (1/2 cup) white sugar
- 105 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 6 g (1 tbsp) orange zest
- 110 g (1 cup) frozen cranberries
- 55 g (1/2 cup) cranberries
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) water
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 120 g (1 cup) icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Using a paper towel and a small dab of coconut oil, coat the inside of a loaf pan with oil. Set aside.
To make the loaf:
- Combine the vegan buttermilk and set aside. Make the vegan egg in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine vegan egg and both sugars. Whisk in the vegan buttermilk, coconut oil, orange juice and zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown.
To make the cranberry glaze:
- Combine cranberries, water and orange juice in a blender until smooth. Strain through a sieve and set the chunks aside. Add the strained liquid to icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Once the bread has cooled, drizzle the glaze over top and serve.