This recipe for Vegan Roasted Tomato Pesto Sandwich is sponsored by Ello Products. Juicy, savoury, salty and cheesy – this sandwich is delicious fresh out of the oven or for lunch the next day.
Back-to-school, whatever that looks like for you, is around the corner. Whether you’re doing virtual learning or in person, a good sandwich for lunch is a great way to power you through the day. We teamed up with Ello Products (using their 10pc Meal Prep Set) to create two delicious vegan sandwiches perfect for your work or school lunch. You’re in exactly the right spot for our recipe for a quick and easy Vegan Roasted Tomato, Pesto and Mozzarella Sandwich, but we also suggest you check out our other recipe for our Vegan Spicy Chicken Sandwich.
Smothered with vegan pesto, topped with delicious tender, roasted tomatoes and vegan mozzarella cheese – this sandwich oozes comfort. You can easily make a bunch of the tomatoes ahead of time, and make your sandwich each day for lunch.
About Ello Products
The 10pc Meal Prep Set is a set of five glass containers with airtight locking lids so you can keep your food fresh for longer! They’re leak proof, stain-resistant and oven-safe up to 425F (with the lid off). Plus their microwave, dishwasher and freezer safe! You won’t need another container again. They also come in gorgeous bright colours that make your lunch even more inviting. In this recipe we used our container to pack our sandwich up for lunch.
The 8×8 Baking Dish just like the meal prep set, except it’s much bigger perfect for potlucks, meal prep, serving dinner, and dessert (we may have already baked brownies in ours). Oven safe up to 450°F (without lid) – this container can go directly from refrigerator or freezer to the oven and then your tabletop without removing the silicon slip. Not to mention it’s also freezer, microwave and dishwasher safe. In this recipe we used our container to roasted our tomatoes… then for brownies later.
Top for Making Vegan Roasted Tomato Pesto Sandwich:
- Slice your tomatoes about 3/4″ thick. Any thinner and your tomatoes won’t hold up. The thicker the tomatoes, the more bite they will have.
- Roast the tomatoes in a single layer. Try not to crowd the baking dish to avoid an uneven bake.
- Allow the roasted tomatoes to come to room temperature before storing for use later. When making this for meal prep, ensure everything comes to room temperature before putting the lid on the container and storing in the fridge for later.
- 2 ciabatta buns
- 2 slices vegan mozzarella cheese
- 30 g (1 cup) spinach or arugula
- 30 g (¼ cup) vegan pesto
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 6 g (1 clove) garlic, minced
- 2½ g (2 tsp) Italian seasoning
- 3 g (1 tbsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- 400 g (1 large) beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 28 g (2 tbsp) vegan butter
- 1 g (½ tsp) minced garlic
- 1 g (½ tsp) Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Make tomato “marinade” by combining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, Italian seasoning and fresh oregano. Add sliced tomato to marinade and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Bake marinated tomatoes in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Make garlic butter by combining minced garlic, vegan butter and Italian seasoning. Mix until combined.
- Spread garlic butter one one half of the ciabatta bun and spread pesto on the other half. Add roasted tomato slices on top of pesto, then mozzarella cheese, and spinach.
- Place sandwich in oven, open-faced, on broil for a couple mins (until bread is golden brown).
Pin it for later: