Is there anything better than a well baked potato? Nope. Story over. However there are a lot of second bests, like these smashed potatoes complete with a pesto cream sauce. You heard me right. Thanksgiving here in Canada is approaching quickly (yes, here in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving at the beginning of October…). While the main dish is important, people tend to forget about the importance of the sides. The sides take up most of the plate in fact, so why should they be less important than the main?
Impress your guests this holiday season with some of the best potatoes you have ever had. This is coming from person who is a hardcore mashed potato and sweet potato fan. These crispy little nuggets of smashed potatoes will win your heart over a thousand times, or at least as many times as smashed potatoes you make.
Boiled until tender, than crushed (which is so much more fun that I thought) with a potato masher or fork. Bake them in the oven until perfectly cripsy and drizzle (generously) with your pesto cream sauce. Everyone will be asking for the recipe.
Create the perfect holiday dinner courtesy of TMG. Serve these awesome potatoes alongside kale caesar salad, mushroom stuffing, and roasted vegetables. Then we have an awesome surprise for you next week, because it’s the most delicious main dish ever.
Smashed Potatoes w/ Pesto Cream Sauce
- 1 bag baby yellow potatoes
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper, , to taste
Creamy Pesto Sauce
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp water, , divided
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Boil for about 20 minutes or until fork tender. Once tender, drain the water and allow the potatoes to sit on the stove for about 10 minutes to allow water to evaporate (this helps to make a crispier potato).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a food processor add the basil, walnuts, nutritional yeast, olive oil, 2 tbsp of water, garlic and salt to a food processor and blend until smooth. Some chunks are okay! Add the pesto to the vegan sour cream and mix until combined. Add the final tbsp of water if you want a thinner dressing.
- On a lined baking sheet place the boiled potatoes and using a potato masher or fork, gently smash the potatoes until about 1/2 inch thick, or your desired thickness. The thinner they are the crispier they will be. Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with the creamy pesto sauce or keep on the side for dipping.
How to make Smashed Potatoes with Pesto Cream Sauce