DISCLAIMER: This blog post contains Amazon affiliate links. The items cost the same to you, but if purchased through our link we receive a portion of the sale. One way we are able to fund TMG by sharing products we love.
It’s summer which means the suns out and all we want to do is be outside. Is there anything better than being out in the sun all day sipping mojitos, eating delicious food, and hanging out with people you love. That is what summer is about. One of our favourite dishes to serve up in the summer is a 7 layer dip. We used to have this as kids all the time, it got served at backyard barbecues, birthday parties, movie nights, and really any other night we could get out parents to make it. Now that we’re “adults” we can have it whenever we want.
When you think 7 layer dip, most think of sour cream, salsa, maybe some guacamole or refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and black olives. While that sounds delicious, we decided to put our own TMG twist on the classic dish. If you remember from a few weeks back we made these delicious Asparagus & Mushroom Tacos. They were incredible, but in them was a mushroom medley that we just about fell in love with. Instantly we thought it would be perfect for a 7 layer dip. We use fresh mushrooms in this recipe, but subbing those for dehydrated mushrooms would offer and incredible flavour.
With the mushroom medley acting as our delicious ‘meaty’ substitute, this dip hits whole new levels of delicious. It’s the happy marriage of fajitas and taco, and who doesn’t want that marriage. Starting with a delicious layer of mushrooms, followed by vegan sour cream, salsa, vegan cheese, lettuce, black olives, and tomatoes – this 7 layer dip is perfect accompanied by some tortilla chips or veggies.
Vegan Seven Layer Dip
- 1 cup green leaf lettuce, , shredded
- 1 large tomato, , diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/3 cup daiya cheddar shreds
- 1/3 cup daiya mozzarella shreds
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 white onion, , diced
- 4 clove garlic, , minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, , diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp hot chili powder
- 1 lime, , juiced
Lime Cilantro Sour Cream
- 2 cups vegan sour cream
- 1 lime , . juiced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, , finely minced
- To make your mushroom medley heat your pan with the avocado oil then add garlic and onion. Sautee for about 1 minute with the lid on so the onions can wilt. Add in the mushrooms and sautee for 1-2 minutes with the lid on. Add your spices and lime juice and toss until coated. Seat aside to cool.
- To make the sour cream combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Layer your dip starting with your mushroom medley, then sour cream, salsa, cheeses, lettuce, tomato, and black olives.
- Dip, eat, and enjoy.
How to make Vegan 7 Layer Dip