Big Macs were always one of our favourite things before going vegan. It’s what I (Kat) craved the most when I originally went vegetarian in high school. The Mac sauce is one of the best sauces ever so we thought hey let’s veganize it.
Instead of just making a vegan BIg Mac sandwich, we decided to up the game and combine two of our favourite things. Big Macs and poutine.
You heard that right. We took all that is great about a Big Mac and combined it with our poutine. Together it is one of the best combinations you will ever try.
Vegan Big Mac Poutine
- 1 pkg frozen fries, cooked according to pkg
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp sweet relish
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 pinches white pepper, divided
- 2 tsp onion powder, divided
- 2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sriracha (optional)
- 1/2 onion diced, divided
- 1/4 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 pickle, diced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups veg broth
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 pkg vegan ground beef
- vegan cheese curds or shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for topping
- Bake fries according to the instructions on the package.
- To make the mac sauce combine; vegan mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, 2 pinches of white pepper, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, smoked paprika and sriracha. Mix until all combined.
- Dice your onion, iceberg lettuce and pickle and set aside.
- In a sauce pan on medium heat add vegan butter, flour and half of the diced onion. Mix until all the flour coats the onions and there is no raw flour left.
- Add in your vegetable broth, miso paste, onion powder, garlic powder, nutritional yeast and remaining white pepper. Keep stiring the gravy until it thickens.
- In a pan on medium heat, heat up the vegan ground beef until desired temperature.
- Assemble the poutine by layering fries with gravy and cheese curds, then top with vegan ground beef, mac sauce, lettuce, onions, pickles and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.