Shake up your holiday menu with this simple, yet show-stopping main. These vegan sausage stuffed squash rings come together with minimal ingredients and are perfect to serve a crowd.
This recipe was born out a want for a new way to get protein into a holiday dinner. We love vegan roasts and lentil loaves, but wanted to try something new. These vegan sausage stuffed squash rings are easy to make and sure to impress. Kat’s non-vegan parents loved this when served at our last holiday dinner, so we decided to share it with you.
Sliced delicata squash stuffed with a beyond sausage stuffed filling and roasted until the squash is fork tender. Served with your favourite holiday sides and some vegan gravy – these squash rings will be the talk of your next dinner.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Easy to make and comes together quickly.
- Great for big groups and dinner parties.
- Can be made be prepped ahead of time.
Tips for making Vegan Sausage Stuffed Squash Rings:
- Pre-make the sausage filling. This recipe comes together fairly quickly, however you can make the filling ahead of time to reduce prep time same day. Whether for a holiday dinner or a weeknight meal – saving time is always a win.
- Mound the sausage filling. The perfect ratio of squash to sausage filling, is packing the squash ring full enough to create a little mound on top.
- Bake until squash is fork tender. You’ll know the rings are ready when you can poke with a fork easily.
- Delicata Squash – This squash has a nutty, sweet flavour and a delicate skin that’s edible! For this recipe, we don’t peel the squash so be sure to give it a good cleaning before starting the recipe. We’ve also used butternut squash for this recipe before. If using butternut squash we recommend peeling before baking, while the skin is edible it’s a little bit more tough than that of the delicata squash.
- Beyond Beef – You can find beyond meat at most grocery stores now. You could also use Impossible in its place if you prefer the flavour.
- Beyond Sausage – For this recipe we use the spicy Italian variety, but any flavour will work.
- Shallots – If you don’t have shallots white or yellow onion also work well in this recipe.
- Garlic – Opt for fresh garlic where possible, but if you don’t have any garlic powder will suffice.
- Breadcrumbs – Any vegan breadcrumbs work for this recipe, we like us panko breadcrumbs.
- Nutritional Yeast – If you’re not a fan of nutritional yeast, it can be omitted from the recipe.
Other vegan holiday recipe you’ll love:
- Brown Sugar Roasted Carrots
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Creamy Mushroom Pot Pies
- Vegan Croissant Sage Stuffing
- Thanksgiving Focaccia
How to make Vegan Sausage Stuffed Squash Rings:
Vegan Sausage Stuffed Squash Rings
- 2 delicata squash
- 85 g (¼ package) Beyond Beef
- 3 Beyond Sausage, spicy Italian
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Thoroughly rinse squash – the skin is edible so you want to make sure it’s clean. Slice the squash horizontally into rounds about 1 cm thick. Then using a cookie cutter about the same size has the inner hole of the squash, cut out the seeds. Set aside on the lined baking sheet.
- To prepare the filling, in a large bowl add beyond beef, beyond sausage, shallot, garlic, breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, chili flakes, Italian seasoning, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Using your hands mix the filling together until combined.
- Divide the filling into as many even pieces as there are squash rings. Press the filling into the squash rings – it's okay if the mound over the top of the ring.
- Drizzled the filled rings with olive oil (optional) and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until the squash is fork tender about 30 minutes.