Light, flaky, and packed with fresh strawberries. These Vegan Strawberry Scones may just be the easiest summer dessert you make.
Craving something fresh yet buttery and sweet? These Vegan Strawberry Scones are it. This quick and easy recipe is perfect when you’re short on time but need a little treat. And we promise it’s better than any Starbucks scone you could have.
We’ve been in a scone phase for the last 2 years and sure hope it doesn’t end anytime soon. Scones are some of our favourite recipes to make. They come together in mostly one bowl and in under 40 minutes, with very little of that being active. This recipe was born out of a sudden craving for seasonal produce and a plethora of fresh strawberries – but luckily this should work with most fresh produce.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Fresh and flavourful in every bite.
- Comes together in under 40 minutes.
- Freezable at many stages.
Top tips for making vegan scones:
- Keep the butter cold. The key to a flaky scone is layers of cold vegan butter throughout the dough. Those layers of butter are what will steam up in the warm oven and create perfectly flaky layers that you can’t get enough of.
- Don’t over mix the dough. Scones should be tender and flaky, but won’t be if you overwork the dough. If you do, the dough will become chewy and really not very enjoyable. All you need to do is to mix until there are no more dry patches, then fold a few times to create as many layers as you can.
- Handle the dough minimally. The warmth from your hands is enough to melt the butter in the dough. So while you need to handle the dough a little, be careful not to handle it too much. If you find the dough is starting to get a little too warm, we recommend you pop it in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes or so.
- Freeze before baking. For the best results and the most layers possible we freeze our scones before baking them. This keeps the butter from melting before it can create layers in the oven.
- Optionally brush with vegan egg wash. If you want to ensure a golden brown exterior, we recommend making a vegan egg wash using a 1:1 ratio of non-dairy milk and maple syrup.
- Strawberries – We use fresh strawberries, but you could also use diced frozen strawberries. If using fresh, note that the berries will mash a little bit when mixing the dough.
- Soy Milk – We opt for soy milk in most of our recipes but you could also use oat milk or any other non-dairy milk you enjoy.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This is what gives the recipe a subtle tang that buttermilk would give it. You could also use lemon juice.
- Vegan Butter – We use the Becel Plant-Based Unsalted Sticks in all of our recipes. You can use a different vegan butter but it will likely change the result.
- All-Purpose Flour – Our go-to is the No Name Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, but any all-purpose flour will work.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – Ensure neither of these are expired or else your scones won’t rise.
- Maple Syrup – Any sweetener will work but we love using maple syrup. You could also leave this out entirely.
- Lemon Zest – Adding a little brightness to this dessert, you could use any citrus zest.
Other vegan recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Blueberry Scones
- Vegan Glazed Cranberry Orange Scones
- Vegan Strawberry Pretzel Crumble Bars
- Vegan Mixed Berry Crumble Bars
- Vegan Lemon Raspberry Scones
How to make Vegan Strawberry Scones:
Vegan Strawberry Scones
- 1 ½ cup strawberries, diced
- 240 mL (1 cup) soy milk
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 7 g (1 tbsp) ground flax seeds¾
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 170 g (¾ cup) cold vegan butter
- 360 g (3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 12 g (1 tbsp) baking powder½
- 3 g (½ tsp) baking soda
- Salt, to taste
- 6 g (1 tbsp) lemon zest
Before you start: Place your scone mixture in the fridge whenever you’re not using. It’s important to keep the dough as cold as possible to ensure you get flaky layers.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To a bowl combine non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, ground flax seed, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix and set in the fridge until needed.
- In a large bowl combine flour, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add cold vegan butter to flour mixture and using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture comes together in pea-sized crumbs. Having small chunks of butter in the mixture is what will form the flaky layers.
- To the flour/butter mixture, add the milk mixture. Mix until all the flour is incorporated into a dough. You may need to use your hands to gently fold, but don’t handle it too much or your body heat will melt the butter.
- Add in the strawberries and mix until just combined.
- If your dough is feeling a little sticky, generously flour a clean flat surface and turn out the dough onto it. Sprinkle some flour over top and gently knead 1-2 times and press it into a disk about 1 inch thick. Using a sharp knife cut the disk into pie slices – we opted for 8 total. Place scones on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Once baked, allow scones to cool about 10 minutes before serving.