We’re all about quick and easy vegan meals – and that includes dessert! This Chocolate Waffle Ice Cream Sundae is the perfect weekday dessert for the whole family.
September at TMG is all about saving time in the kitchen. Whether it’s 30 minute meals, one-pot meals or meal prep – we’re making recipes that you can make no matter how busy you are. Obviously we couldn’t leave out dessert. This Chocolate Waffle Ice Cream Sundae will bring smiles to everyone’s faces – and we all need some smiles right now. With just a few simple ingredients you can make one epic vegan dessert.
How do you make chocolate waffles?
First combine your dry ingredients and then in a separate bowl combine your wet ingredients until smooth. Pour your wet mixture into your dry mixture and stir until just combined. Cook your waffles in your waffle iron, then top with ice cream and your choice of delicious toppings like nuts, sprinkles coconut whipped cream, and more.
Top tips for making waffles:
- Know your waffle maker. Every waffle maker is different and take different times to cook, be sure to read the instructions on your waffle maker to ensure you have properly cooked waffles.
- No spray oil necessary (at least for this recipe). The non-stick quality of a waffle recipe is in the recipe itself, not the spray you put on the waffle maker. The amount of oil in this recipe should make these non-stick in most waffle makers.
- Avoid over-mixing for a fluffy waffle. If you over-mix the batter you will have a chewier, bread-like texture.
- Be patient with your waffle maker. Opening your waffle cooker too early can ruin a waffle. Let your waffle maker tell you when they’re ready. If your waffle maker doesn’t have an indicator light wait until the steam stops.
- Freeze leftover waffles. Avoid unnecessary food waste by freezing any leftover waffles. Then when you’re ready to eat them, just pop them in the toaster or toaster oven.
Which waffle maker should I use?
Whatever waffle maker you want to use is fine by us. We use a rotating round Belgian waffle maker for ours as we like the crispy outside it creates, while still having the pillow-y inside.
Toppings we love for ice cream sundaes:
- Crushed Nuts
- Fresh Fruit
- Coconut Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Maraschino Cherries
Chocolate Waffle Ice Cream Sundae
- 210 g (1¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- 50 g (½ cup) cacao powder
- 4 g (1 tsp) baking powder
- 4 g (1 tsp) baking soda
- pinch salt
- 100 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 420 mL (1¾ cup) vegan buttermilk*
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs , 6 tbsp water + 2 tbsp ground flax
- 90 mL (6 tbsp) coconut oil melted
- 8 scoops ice cream , flavour of choice
- chocolate sauce , optional
- maraschino cherries , optional
- sprinkles , optional
- coconut whipped cream , optional
- Preheat waffle iron on medium-high heat.
- To a bowl combine flour, cacao powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl combine vegan buttermilk, vanilla, flax eggs and coconut oil.
- Pour wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour waffle batter into preheated waffle iron and cook golden and crispy (about 5-6 minutes). Repeat for all waffles.
- Top waffles with ice cream, chocolate sauce, fruit, sprinkles, whipped cream and whatever else your heart desires!
Pin it for later: