We love pizza. Pepperoni pizza, cheese pizza, and even Gingerbread Pizza! Gingerbread is the season of the moment. With Christmas only a couple weeks away we are all about gingerbread spice. So we went head-to-head in a gingerbread challenge featuring this delicious Gingerbread Pizza and crunchy Gingerbread Biscotti.
Is it even the holidays if you didn’t decorate gingerbread? Nope! Gingerbread is one of those things that just bring the family together – baking it, decorating it, and eating it. Looking for a twist on a classic holiday treat? Forget gingerbread houses this year and welcome the Gingerbread Pizza. Soft and chewy cookie topped with your choice of delicious toppings. Make a big one together or each make your own individual cookie pizza. Either way it’s going to be one delicious party.
Gingerbread cookie dough topped with classic icing, fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries, and drizzled with chocolate hazelnut spread. A combination that will absolutely blow your Christmas socks off, or perhaps your ugly Christmas sweater? The ideal recipe for your next holiday party – perfect for sharing!
- 1 flax egg, (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- pinch salt
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, , sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup chocolate hazelnut spread, , warmed
- Make the flax egg and set aside to thicken for about 10 minutes.
- To a stand mixer add the butter, flax egg, vanilla, molasses, and brown sugar. Mix until creamed together. Add in the flour, baking soda, and all the spices. Mix until a dough comes together.
- Roll into a ball and wrap in cling film and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Remove the dough and allow to rest for about 10 minutes. On a well floured surface roll out until you get your desired thickness (we suggest about 1/2"). We recommend dividing the dough into 2 separate pizzas. Place the cookie pizza on a lined baking sheet and chill in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the freezer and bake for about 30-35 minutes, depending on the size it may be less time.
- While the cookie bakes, prepare your toppings. To make the icing combine the icing sugar and milk until smooth.
- Ice the cookie cake once cooled and top with your favourite toppings. We did fresh strawberries, blueberries, and a drizzle of chocolate hazelnut spread.