When brainstorming side dishes for How To Vegan The Holidays this year, Devin mentioned something her family always has – a Squash Apple Bake. It was simple, yet delicious. We took the base of that recipes and put our own TMG twist to it. While still keeping it simple we added a few components we love like a crumble topping to give it just a little bit of elevation.
Thin slices of butternut squash and granny smith apples combined with festive flavours like cinnamon, maple syrup, oats, and pecans. It’s the perfect unique side for all your holiday festivities. While it’s on the sweeter side, we think it still makes the ideal accompaniment to a tofurkey or lentil loaf. But if your feel adventurous, top this with some vegan vanilla ice cream and all of a sudden you have a beautifully unique holiday dessert. We love versatile dishes!
Squash Apple Bake
Squash Apple Bake
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 granny smith apples
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 orange, , juiced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel the butternut squash, slice in half (lengthwise), and scoop out the seeds. Using a sharp knife slice the squash into pieces about 1/2 inch thick. Place in a large bowl. Slice the apples 1/2 inch thick and toss with the sliced squash.
- To the squash and apple mixture add the maple syrup, ginger, all spice, cinnamon, and orange juice - toss to coat.
- Layer the squash and apple slices into a 9x9 baking dish, alternating between the two until it's filled. Really squish each piece into there - you'll be able to fit more than you think. Now pour the water into the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl toss together the oats, walnut pieces, and maple syrup. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the squash apple bake.
- Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.