This summer we’re grilling up a storm! These Grilled Potatoes in Foil with Dill Sour Cream are the perfect simple summer side. Topped with a dairy-free, vegan dill sour cream and finished with some fresh dill.
Let’s get grilling! Summertime is one of our favourite food seasons because everything tastes better when grilled and that includes potatoes. These easy Grilled Potatoes in Foil with Dill Sour Cream are inspired by creamy scalloped potatoes.
Layers of thick-cut potatoes, sliced onion, vegan butter, and seasoning create a delicious bite. This quick and easy recipe is the perfect addition to your barbecue meal.
Top tips for making Grilled Potatoes in Foil:
- Slice your potatoes as evenly as possible. To ensure everything cooks evenly and at the same time slice your potatoes in 1/4″ rounds.
- Don’t stack the potatoes too much. Keep your layers low to ensure each potato cooks through without burning the bottom potatoes. If needed, it’s best to cook the potatoes in multiple foil packets.
- Cook on a low-medium heat. To avoid burning the bottom of the potatoes keep the grill heat no higher than medium heat.
- Optional: Load your grilled potatoes with your favourite toppings for a nachos-inspired dish.
- Potatoes – We used red potatoes but you can use whatever potato you want. Some potatoes will work better, but ultimate any potato is a good potato.
- White Onion – Again, we like using white onion for this but yellow, Spanish, and red onions will all work.
- Vegan Butter – Vegan butter creates the best end result flavour, but you can also use coconut oil or olive oil.
- Vegan Sour Cream – If you can’t find vegan sour cream, you can use vegan yogurt or make your own sour cream with one of the many recipes online.
- Fresh Dill – You can leave this out if you don’t like dill or swap for dried dill or another fresh herb of your choice.
Grilled Potatoes Recipe FAQ:
Do you need to boil potatoes before grilling?
Nope! The potatoes will cook on the grill so there is no need for the extra step of boiling them.
How do I prevent my potatoes from burning?
Keep the grill low and cook them slow. If the grill is too hot the bottom layer of potatoes will burn before the top layer is cooked.
How to make Grilled Potatoes in Foil:
Grilled Potatoes in Foil with Dill Sour Cream
- 2-3 lbs potatoes, cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 small white onion, sliced thinly
- 57 g (4 tbsp) vegan butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
Dill Sour Cream
- 60 g (¼ cup) vegan sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- To a bowl add sliced potatoes and white onion, sprinkle with salt, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon pepper. Toss to combine.
- Create a pouch with some tin foil and place potatoes and onions in a thin layer on the bottom. Don't stack/layer them too much or they won't cook. Optionally you can separate this into two or four pouches. Top with dollops of vegan butter and seal the foil pouch.
- Place on the grill for 20-30 minute or until the potatoes are tender.
- Make dill sour cream by combining sour cream, dill, garlic, and powder.
- Once potatoes are fully cooked, top with vegan sour cream and shredded cheese if you want.