We know, savoury oatmeal sounds weird. We thought the same thing, until we tried it. This recipe completely blew us away when we made it, there are so many layers of flavours in every single bite and none of them seem out of place. Seriously though, if we haven’t said it enough yet, this dish is seriously amazing.
Oatmeal is one of the go to recipes when you need to make something cheaper, which is why it is the perfect start to our Go Vegan, Not Broke series. All month long we’ll be creating recipes that aren’t only delicious but also low budget. In fact all the ingredients to every recipe in January is a total of about $35.00. You heard that right, about a week’s worth of food for only $35.00.
As much as we love oatmeal, we we’re never ones that could have it all the time. This dish changes things. Not only could we have this dish every morning for breakfast, but for brunch, lunch and dinner too. Seriously this is an all day dish, not just a breakfast. Trust us, we ate it all day when we made it.
All the flavours combined, basically taste like a taco bowl and if you know us at all you know that we LOVE tacos. However we never thought that we would taco-ify oatmeal and have it work so well. Bonus points, this recipe is also so easy to make! Seriously it looks like it would take a long ass time to make, but you could have it together in about 10 minutes.
Total cost for this recipe is approximately $4.65 CND, depending where you are it can be more or less than this. That means this recipe is approximately $2.32 per serving. The cost can be brought down by omitting the avocado or tomato topping.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp hot chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 avocado
- 1 large tomato
- 1 lime, juiced
- cilantro, for topping (optional)
- sriracha, for topping (optional)
- Dice up your tomato and avocado and set aside.
- Add your oats and spices to your pot and mix until all the spices are evenly distributed.
- Add in your broth and 1 cup of your water and stir on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the broth has disappeared. Depending on your oats you may need to add more broth in, give them a taste and if they still need some more cooking add another 1 cup of water and stir until thickened.
- Add to your bowls and top with avocado and tomato and any other additions you may want to make.
Oh wow! Thank you so much! So happy you liked it. <3
Don’t Wait for Breakfast… Make the Taco Oatmeal NOW!
Like, Seriously. RIGHT. NOW.
Kat! You’re a Creative Kitchen Genius!!!
Big Vegan Hugs for this Absolute Deliciousness!!! XO