Hearty, brothy, and packed with plant based protein – this Spicy White Bean Soup with Kale is the perfect cozy dinner. White beans in a tomato and vegetable broth with hearty kale and seasonal herbs and spices.
Soup season is here and this hearty white bean soup is on our dinnertime rotation right now. Paired with a crusty piece of bread and topped with fresh herbs, this comforting bowl of soup will be a hit with the whole family.
Our Spicy White Bean Soup with Kale in a Tomato Broth is the perfect balance of flavours and nutrients. With an impressive amount of protein and fibre, you also get a ton of nutrients from the kale, tomatoes, and the aromatics like onion, garlic, and celery. While this recipe does contain some spice to it, you can always adjust it if you’re more sensitive to spice.
Let’s talk about navy beans!
We LOVE using navy beans in our recipes. They get their name because they used to be a culinary staple in the U.S. Navy, but they’re also known as pea beans. They’re tender, yet firm and packed with flavour. Navy beans are small, oval-shaped, and quick cooking! They have a light, mild flavour making them great for baked beans and flavourful soups and stews. Their creamy texture lends well to purees and dips. Our favourite thing about this delicious little bean? They’re packed with fiber, boasting an impressive 19 grams per cup!
Top tips for making our Spicy White Bean Soup with Kale:
- Prep your ingredients ahead of time. Soup can come together quickly and typically doesn’t have time for prep between steps. It’s best to prep all your ingredients beforehand so you can move through the steps without stopping.
- Chop your veggies evenly. To ensure an even cook, chop the veggies in even sizes. This ensure that you don’t get inconsistent textures throughout your soup.
- Adjust to taste. Only you know how much spice you like. We recommend adjusting the seasonings in this soup recipe to your own taste buds. If you don’t like spice you can omit the chili paste altogether!
- Add the kale right at the end. Kale only needs a quick 10-20 seconds in the soup to wilt. As soon as the soup is done add the kale in a stir until just wilted and no more. You don’t want to overcook your kale.
About the ingredients & tools:
Soups are great because while they have a ton of ingredients, they’re typically fairly common ingredients. Most of the key flavours in this soup can be found in your fridge and pantry.
- White Beans – Packed with protein and fibre for a super hearty and filling soup! We like using navy beans and white kidney beans for our soups, but you can swap for another bean if you prefer. Keep in mind that a change in bean type can potentially change cook time.
- San Marzano Tomatoes – For a super flavourful tomato-y broth it’s important to use San Marzano tomatoes instead of any canned tomatoes. They have low-moisture content with mild acidity lending a sweet, rich, and deep flavour to this soup.
- Vegetable Broth – We use the Better Than Bouillon Seasoned Vegetable Base but any veggie broth will do!
- Kale – Kale is the perfect hearty, leafy green to add to this delicious soup! We used common curly kale but also recommend trying it with dino kale.
- Chili Paste – For a little spice in this hearty soup chili paste is the answer. We used chili garlic paste but you can also use your favourite hot sauce or another chili paste you love.
- Aromatics – Onion, garlic, celery, and carrots not only give this recipe a hearty bite but also a bunch of flavour and aroma.
The best part about a soup is how little kitchen tools you need. Most soups, this one included, only need a big pot and some prep tools.
- Chef’s Knife – A good chef’s knife is important in any kitchen, but especially for soups that require a bunch of prep and chopping. A good quality and sharp chef’s knife will make the prep super easy and keep you safer.
- Cutting Board – A thick wood cutting board (or your preferred material) is important to have since this recipe requires a lot of vegetable chopping and prepping.
- Dutch Oven – We love making soups in heaty bottomed pots like our cast iron dutch oven. They hold onto heat super well and cook the soup nice and evenly.
How to make our Spicy Bean Soup:
Spicy Bean Soup with Kale in a Tomato Broth
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 bulb garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 600 ml (2½ cups) vegetable stock
- 797 mL can san marzano tomatoes
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 can navy beans, drained
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained
- 150 g kale, chopped
- chili flakes
- fresh parsley
Before you start: Prep and chop ingredients.
- To a large pot (we use a dutch oven) over medium-high heat add oil and heat for 1 minute. Add in white onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, and cumin. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chili paste and cook for an additional minute.
- Add vegetable stock and san marzano tomatoes. Cook partially covered for about 10 minutes. Using a wooden spoon break up the san marzano tomatoes in your pot. If you want it to be smooth, use an immersion blender.
- Add in beans, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Finally add in the kale and cook until just wilted. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve and garnish with chili flakes and fresh parsley. Serve with a sliced of toasted bread and enjoy!