Can you believe it’s 2019 already? January is typically the ‘New Year, New Me’ time for a lot of people. A time where people look at their lives and plan where they want to be by the end of the year. They set goals for themselves and their work. Often on the list is health. Lots of people use the start of a new year as a way to change up their lifestyle a little bit. Whether your going plant-based, or simply eating less fast food. All month long we want to provide you with some of our favourite healthy recipes to help you on your journey. But don’t fret all these recipes still taste absolutely delicious. First up, our Sugar-Free Banana Bread.
I love banana bread, it makes a delicious breakfast. However I am shocked by how much sugar can be found in banana bread. It’s like the popular chocolate hazelnut spreads that everyone thinks is good for breakfast but it’s actually like having dessert for breakfast. It’s something I never understood. Banana bread to me is like an oatmeal cookie, made to sound healthy but aren’t necessarily good for you. That’s why for recipes like those, I typically refuse to put a lot of sugar in them. Maybe this is just a me problem though.
You get the same great taste of regular banana bread, but it’s much healthier. Enjoy with a tea or coffee and topped with your favourite breakfast foods. May we suggest a nut butter or tahini? Better yet make this a sweet avocado toast by whipping up a batch of our Avocado Chocolate Pudding and topping a slice. Don’t forget to toast your banana bread!
Sugar-Free Banana Bread
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs, (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To a large bowl add the peeled bananas and mash with a fork until smooth. Add the coconut oil, vanilla extract, and flax eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until combined. Add both flours, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. This will take a while but you will get there.
- Grease a small loaf pan and pour the banana bread batter into pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.