Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside – these Vegan S’mores Cookie Bars are the perfect summer treat! Loaded with chunks of dark chocolate and vegan marshmallows in a graham cracker cookie base.
Summer is all about s’mores! S’more Cookies, S’mores Brownies, and these ooey-gooey S’mores Cookie Bars. We love turning this classic summertime treat into new and delicious vegan desserts. This year, we made these rich S’mores Cookie Bars. Loaded with melted dark chocolate and vegan marshmallows in a graham cracker base, each bite is as decadent and delicious as the next.
We’ve been making these all summer long. Everyone who’s tried them have almost immediately reach for a second. Yes, they’re that good. We love making these for summertime get togethers, for a sweet treat during the week, or for a little extra fuel on an evening walk. Pick a square from the middle with a super chewy and gooey bite, or reach for an edge piece for an extra little crunch.
As if these weren’t amazing enough, they also come together in just 45 minutes (including bake time!!) and with just 10 ingredients.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Crispy on the outside and chewy on the outside.
- Take just 45 minutes and 10 ingredients!
- Perfect for picnics, weekday treats, or potlucks.
Top tips for making S’mores Cookie Bars:
- Use chocolate chunks, not chips. Chocolate chips have a time and a place, but it’s not in these cookie bars. Using chopped chocolate chunks creates pools of gooey melted chocolate in every bite. We like buying a big dark chocolate bar and chopping it into random sized chunks for the best experience.
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. You need to beat the vegan butter and sugar longer than you think. What most people don’t understand that creaming or beating isn’t just about mixing together two ingredients, it’s about aerating ingredients. By creaming butter you create little air pockets and when you add sugar its build a system of sugar crystals, fat and air. By doing this, you’re ensuring that the dough will puff up in the oven and create delicious airy cookie bars.
- Pack them with chocolate and marshmallows. We like to pack these with chocolate and marshmallows, then add even more on top before baking. These are s’mores after all.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt for a boost in flavour. Salt is a flavour enhancer and in smaller quantities it increases sweet, sour, and umami flavours. That’s why so many sweet recipes always call for a pinch of salt or topping baked cookies with it! It makes you chocolate taste even more like chocolate.
- Let cool before slicing. It’s tempting to dig into these as soon as they’re out of the oven but we promise they’re worth the wait. You want them to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing them so that they keep their shape.
- Vegan Butter – We like the Becel Plant-Based Sticks for almost all of our recipe. When making this recipe you want to make sure that it’s room temperature. To do so, just leave the butter on the counter for 10-20 minutes before starting the recipe.
- Brown Sugar – You can use either light or dark brown sugar. What’s important is that it’s brown sugar as that’s what gives it its chewy texture.
- Flax Egg – To make a flax egg just combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of lukewarm water. Let it thicken, then use in the recipe in place of eggs.
- All-Purpose Flour – We use the No Name Unbleached All-Purpose Flour for almost all of our recipes.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – This is what gives the cookie bars it’s signature graham cracker flavour. We use the graham cracker crumbs from Bulk Barn as they’re accidentally vegan.
- Baking Powder – Baking powder is a two-in-one chemical leavening that combines a sodium bicarbonate with an acid. When moistened in a dough or batter, a chemical reaction takes place that produces carbon dioxide gas, inflating your baked goods.
- Chopped Chocolate – We like to use the President’s Choice Dark Chocolate Bar in a rough chop to get delicious puddles of melted chocolate in every bite.
- Vegan Marshmallows – We use the Dandies Vegan Marshmallows and we swear they taste just like their non-vegan counterpart.
How do you properly store Vegan S’mores Cookies Bars?
We store these in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
Other vegan desserts you’ll love:
How to make Vegan S’mores Cookie Bars:
Vegan S’mores Cookie Bars
- 113 g vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 150 g (¾ cup) brown sugar
- 1 flax egg, (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp lukewarm water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 g (¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- 125 g (1¼ cup) graham cracker crumbs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch kosher salt
- 150 g chopped chocolate
- 1¼ cup vegan marshmallows
- Before you start: Remove butter from fridge to come to room temperature. Prepare the flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp lukewarm water and setting aside to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9×9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on the sides to make removing the bars easier. Set aside.
- Cream vegan butter and brown sugar with a stand mixer or hand mixer until light and fluffy – about 7-9 minutes. You know it's ready when the mixture has lightened in colour and increased in volume.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until combined – about 30 seconds.
- Add all-purpose flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Beat until just combined – about 30 seconds. Don't overmix or the cookie bars will be tough.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate and marshmallows, leaving some to the side to top with.
- Spread and press into the prepared baking pan into an even layer. Top with extra chopped chocolate and marshmallows, pressing them into the dough just slightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once cooled lift the bars out and cut into 16 squares.