A fun twist on a childhood classic; Herbed Naan Grilled Cheese
Have you ever wondered why we call a grilled cheese grilled? It’s typically cooked on a flat-top or frying pan, it actually doesn’t really ever come close to a grill. We’re changing that. Bringing a fun twist on a classic childhood favourite; grilled cheese. Grilled cheese is one of those simple dishes that everyone loves. It’s not fancy nor is it anything special, but it is delicious. Most importantly it’s the meal that your parents would make you and you were the happiest kid in the world. Especially if they paired it with some warm tomato soup. We wanted to bring that cozy, childhood feeling except with a grown up twist.
Ooey-gooey cheese, kale and tomatoes in between two buttery herbed naan. Does life get any better? This might be one of our simplest recipes yet, but also one of our most delicious. It takes about 15 minutes to make and brings a simple classic to a whole new level. It’s perfect for a quick and easy lunch, especially paired with a roasted tomato soup. The buttery naan adds a beautiful richness, while the grill add delicious fiery flavour. The ultimate flavour booster is a light drizzle of maple syrup across each piece. The sweet pairs perfectly with the savoury-ness of the cheese, butter and herbs. Plus would it even be TMG without at least a little maple syrup?
Why you NEED to add this Naan Grilled Cheese to your daily meal rotation:
- Ooey-gooey cheesy goodness.
- Herbed buttery naan, perfectly charred.
- Fresh herb medley.
- The perfect balance of flavours.
- Maple syrup.
When life gets busy we fall back to those old reliables. Recipes like quick and easy breakfasts, big salads or nachos. With flavour twists like this you can go back to those classics and never get bored. Now we want to know your best twists on the classics. How do you spruce up those recipes that you keep going back to? Head over to our Instagram, YouTube, Facebook or Twitter and let us know!
Check out the full recipe and video below.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 g) fresh dill
- 1 tsp (5 g) fresh oregano
- 1 tsp (5 g) fresh thyme
- 1 tsp (5 g) dried rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 g) garlic powder
Naan Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices naan
- 4 slices (88 g) Daiya swiss slices
- 2/3 cups (75 g) Daiya cheddar shreds
- 1/2 cup (35 g) arugula
- 1 (80 g) vine tomato, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- In a small bowl combine the herbs and butter.
- Cut naan in half for easier grilling.
- Brush the outside of the naan with the butter and place two halves on a hot grill. Layer with Daiya shreds, Daiya swiss slices, sliced tomatoes, arugula and more of the swiss slices. Place the other naan on top and allow to cook until golden brown. Flip and cook until golden brown and the cheese is melty. This should be about 10 minutes.
- Slice the grilled cheese into wedges and drizzle with maple syrup to serve.
This recipe is inspired and adapted from Half Baked Harvest
How to make Vegan Naan Grilled Cheese (video)