A fun twist on a childhood classic! This Herbed Naan Grilled Cheese is gooey on the inside and crispy on the outside. Finish with a drizzle of maple syrup for the perfect balance of salty, savoury, and sweet.
Have you ever wondered why we call a grilled cheese grilled? It’s typically cooked on a flat-top or frying pan, it actually doesn’t really ever come close to a grill. We’re changing that. Bringing a fun twist on a classic childhood favourite – grilled cheese! Grilled cheese is one of those simple dishes that everyone loves. It’s not fancy nor is it anything special, but it’s delicious. Most importantly it’s the meal that your parents would make you when you need a little home comfort. We wanted to bring that cozy, childhood feeling except with a grown up twist.
With each bite you get vegan cheese, leafy kale and juicy tomatoes in between two buttery herbed naan. We’re drooling already. Even better, this might be one of our simplest recipes yet! It takes about 15 minutes to make and brings a simple classic to a whole new level. It’s perfect for a quick and easy lunch, especially paired with homemade tomato soup.
The buttery naan adds a beautiful richness, while the grill adds delicious fiery flavour. The ultimate flavour booster is a light drizzle of maple syrup across each piece. The sweet pairs perfectly with the savoury flavour of the cheese, butter and herbs. When life gets busy we fall back to those old reliables. With flavour twists like this you can go back to those classics and never get bored.
Why you NEED to add this recipe to your meal rotation:
- Ooey-gooey cheesy goodness in every bite.
- Herbed buttery naan, perfectly charred.
- The perfect balance of flavours.
- Maple syrup.
Top tips for making Vegan Naan Grilled Cheese:
While grilled cheese is quick and simple, that doesn’t mean there isn’t an art to it. Here are our top tips for making vegan grilled cheese.
- Choose a good naan bread. Naan bread is delicious no matter which one you pick, but we recommend getting a high quality vegan-friendly naan from your local grocery store. Better yet, use your leftover naan from takeout!
- Use your favourite vegan cheese. Vegan cheese can be hit or miss, but you don’t have to use the cheese we did. Use your favourite vegan cheese for your version. We like to use Daiya or Applewood Vegan Cheese.
- Go low and slow. For the best grilled cheese that is crispy on the outside and perfectly melted on the inside, cook it on a low for more time. This way everything will cook evenly.
- Cut into halves or quarters before grilling. It can be difficult to flip the naan grilled cheese on the grill with a spatula, so we like to pre-cut it in half or quarters for easier flipping.
How to make Vegan Naan Grilled Cheese:
Vegan Naan Grilled Cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 g) fresh dill
- 1 tsp (5 g) fresh oregano
- 1 tsp (5 g) fresh thyme
- 1 tsp (5 g) dried rosemary
- 1 tsp (5 g) garlic powder
Naan Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices naan
- 4 slices (88 g) Daiya swiss slices
- 2/3 cups (75 g) Daiya cheddar shreds
- 1/2 cup (35 g) arugula
- 1 (80 g) vine tomato, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- In a small bowl combine the herbs and butter.
- Cut naan in half for easier grilling.
- Brush the outside of the naan with the butter and place two halves on a hot grill. Layer with Daiya shreds, Daiya swiss slices, sliced tomatoes, arugula and more of the swiss slices. Place the other naan on top and allow to cook until golden brown. Flip and cook until golden brown and the cheese is melty. This should be about 10 minutes.
- Slice the grilled cheese into wedges and drizzle with maple syrup to serve.